Denon AVR-1910 replacement, looking for advice

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

So it seems my relatively ancient Denon AVR-1910 is on the way out. The remote control receiver on the front of the unit isn't accepting anything; I've tried the official remote with new batteries as well as others. I've emailed Denon about using something plugged into the rear IR socket and pondering a full reset to see if that works (although that's going to be a royal pain).

If all else fails, I'll need a new unit. What's the best bang for buck these days? I don't need Atmos, just something that handles Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD and DTS MA. Something that's solid and easy to use (the Denon remote is designed by Satan so we rarely use it) and most importantly affordable. Otherwise the missus will want to go back to the TV speakers and I obviously can't allow that :).

Many thanks in advance.

I don't need Atmos, just something that handles Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD and DTS MA.
What other features are essential to you?

If these are all you need then personally I'd probably buy a used 8-12 year AVR that has HDMI 1.4 for under £200. They won't be able to pass through 4K video though.

If you want the latest features and/or are buying new, for sheer value I personally like the look of the Yamaha RX-V6A at £649. I'm sure you could get one for under £600 with a bit of haggling. It's been very well reviewed by some very hard markers.

Also, there's a link here for the FULL factory reset, which can sometimes work better than the standard reset in the handbook:

Many thanks @Mr Wolf. I don't really need much else, but I'm not really up to date with what's happening with receivers to be honest! It's probably all apps and wifi now. It would be nice to have something with a marginally better UI than Denon offers though (which can't be hard). They might make good hardware but their UIs and remotes are terrible.

Thanks @AEIOU I'll try a full reset this weekend. The 1910 is proper old school and I'd lose everything which would be a pain. I'd need to do the whole Audyssey setup and then assign inputs again. Hey ho!

Hi folks,

So it seems my relatively ancient Denon AVR-1910 is on the way out. The remote control receiver on the front of the unit isn't accepting anything; I've tried the official remote with new batteries as well as others. I've emailed Denon about using something plugged into the rear IR socket and pondering a full reset to see if that works (although that's going to be a royal pain).

If all else fails, I'll need a new unit. What's the best bang for buck these days? I don't need Atmos, just something that handles Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD and DTS MA. Something that's solid and easy to use (the Denon remote is designed by Satan so we rarely use it) and most importantly affordable. Otherwise the missus will want to go back to the TV speakers and I obviously can't allow that :).

Many thanks in advance.
had the same amp and replaced it with a Denon AVR-2300W bought off here for just under £200 earlier this year. If you have a 4K tv then well worth the upgrade. Found the remote and general setup far easier than the 1910. The 2300W is a lovely machine and I feel is much easier to get along with, has a different sound, fantastic on 5.1 movies. Perhaps not quite as loud as the 1910 but certainly steers the sound beautifully. So as a relatively affordable move the AVR-2300W is highly recommended.

I've emailed Denon about using something plugged into the rear IR socket
If you wanted to try this I can confirm the following device worked with several different Denon and Marantz receivers. You'll also need a 3.5mm jack lead (preferably a mono one but a stereo one should also work) instead of the supplied emitters and a USB power source.

LiNKFOR IR Extender with 1 Receiver and 4 Emitters IR Repeater Infrared Remote Control Kit Hidden IR System Compatible with Box Satellite TV Receiver DVD Player Blu-ray Player Amazon product ASIN B0716T6ZR8
Worth a try unless you've talked yourself in to an upgrade already 😀

Many thanks @Jamie that actually did the trick. I tried a factory reset, no improvement, but that little gizmo along with a cheap mono cable from ebay and voila, the remote is working again.

My Avr1910 is a spare AVR but this is good to know. I don't have a remote for it but may find out if I need to get one one day that it doesn't work!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom