Denon AVR 1910 - LPCM 7.1 from PS3

jj_murphy21187

Standard Member
Hi,

I am new the the forums but used the site a lot when choosing my AV setup. I have recently purchased a Denon 1910 AVR and am currently using with a PS3 via HDMI. I am aware of the PS3's inability to decode TrueHD internally and that using the LPCM output allows the receiver to decode the lossless audio itself... but my question is this:

As no Blu-ray yet has a 7.1 soundtrack (to the best of my knowledge), TrueHD is still only 5.1... Am I correct?

Therefore, as the receiver shows no indication that it is decoding the LPCM to dolby (HD, 5.1, or Digital, etc) does anyone know if I will be getting 5.1 with the added 2 rear surrounds (which will be 'simulated' by the AVR), or as in Dolby EX with 6.1, or just 5.1?

It sometimes seems that I can get better sound from Dolby EX from a DVD (via bitstream from the PS3) than I can from a blu-ray with supposed TrueHD. It may well be the difference in films, however I don't own any duplicate dvd and blu-ray films to test with. Specific films in question are The Dark Knight (Blu-Ray) and True Lies (DVD).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

ianfretwell

You seem to be wrong about almost every point you raise unfortunately ....

The PS3 IS internally decoding TrueHD to LPCM - the amp then simply outputs LPCM directly - effectively the amp is doing nothing but amplifing.

An example of a disc with TrueHD 7.1 audio is 'Star Trek : The Motion Picture'.... and there are absolutely loads with DTS HD 7.1 tracks...how much looking did you do ? Any ?

The amp display shows you which channels it is outputting on the right hand side(as well as what's being input- on the left hand side) and tells you what format it is - so for you, from a 5.1 bluray source you would probably want to see 'LPCM + PIIx' - i.e. LPCM + ProLogic IIx to create the extra surround rears.

I'm pretty sure the Dark Knight bluray defaults to standard Dolby Digital unless you specifically choose the TrueHD audio track...are you ?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom