Question Denon AVR 1909

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Robbo456, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Robbo456

Robbo456
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all, long time since posting.

Recently moved house and having a larger room I have just purchased a Samsung KS8000 65" 4k tv which is excellent especially as I imported a lowering mantlemount to hang it (waiting for the wall to collapse)

My components are:

Sky Q 2tb box
    Samsung UBD-K8500 4k Blueray player

Now I had to get higher speed HDMI cables for the new TV to recognise the sky and blueray.

But my question is, before I buy more high speed HDMI cables , will the Denon 1909 amp I have pass this through? Or am I done and have to buy a new amp. I currently have the sky and blueray connected directly to the box that came with the tv and connecting the audio via optical to the Denon amp. Whats a pain is I cant access the Denon menu currently, so can't even set up the second optical input so I'm having to switch cables.

Not understanding a great deal about this, I just wonder if the amp will run the 4k signals through?

If not, what amps do now? It would be far neater to connect to the amp and have one lead going to the tv box, at the moment its a mess.

Having spent rather a lot on the tv, I really don't have the funds for a new expensive amp so hoping there is a solution.

Thanks in advance!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,966
    Your AV receiver doesn't have HDCP 2.2 compliance you cannot passthrough natevely encoded UHD video. You can still use it to handle the associated audio though.

You can connect the SKY Q box directly to the TV via HDMI to convey UHD video to it and then either passthrough the associated audio to the receiver via an optical audio connection from the TV to the receiver or convey the audio to the receiver from the STB via a seperate optical connection from the STB.

Your UHD player has 2 HDMI outputs. You can use one to convey just the UHD video to the compliant TV while using the other HDMI output to convey the associated HD audio to your receiver. Note that HD formats such as those associated with Blu-ray cannot be conveyed via optical and can only be conveyed via HDMI.