Denon AVR 1906 setup - please check

Snow_Man_UK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for a little help. I am in the process of ugrading from an all-in-one home cinema to a AVR 1906 based system. Since I am new to this game I just want to check that my planned install is feasible - before spending too much money! Attached are two sketches showing what I propose. The first sketch is 'as now' with an old CRT TV. I will be using the Denon for running audio only from SKY+ and DVD. The second sketch shows that in December I will upgrade to a HD plasma and Sky HD and will use the Denon to switch between component inputs. Any comments or oversights much appreciated.
thanks

Attachments

• HD Plasma.jpg
    HD Plasma.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 383
  • HD Plasma 2.jpg
    HD Plasma 2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 455
Snow_Man_UK said:
Hi,
Looking for a little help. I am in the process of ugrading from an all-in-one home cinema to a AVR 1906 based system. Since I am new to this game I just want to check that my planned install is feasible - before spending too much money! Attached are two sketches showing what I propose. The first sketch is 'as now' with an old CRT TV. I will be using the Denon for running audio only from SKY+ and DVD. The second sketch shows that in December I will upgrade to a HD plasma and Sky HD and will use the Denon to switch between component inputs. Any comments or oversights much appreciated.
thanks

Certainly looks fine to me. If you haven't already purchased the AVR1906 you may wish to take a look at

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366358

as it also includes HDMI switching which would neaten up the whole solution so reciever is taking all video on.

Looks like a bargain.

Dan.

I have the Sony STR-DG700 as Dankeech linked to above and im very happy with it, it'll probably fit your bill qite well :)

The only issue with the December 06 picture is the VCR via composite. This will not be converted on the 1906 to component so you would another lead from amp to TV.

I would suggets a S-Video as the 1906 does convert composite to S-Video.

THis would also mean you can use the on screen display for setup. (It doesn't work through component) :)

Thanks Barijohn - I have just noticed this. For the on screen set up initially I would have used a temp connection to the front av connections, then a fixed S-video for the VCR later as you suggest.

However the Sony seems to fit very well, and the extra optical input is a bonus. 6.1 is ok for me since the room is not so large. So thanks for the input guys - I will go for the STR-DG700 (I think that the new Denons may do a similar job but I expect these to be expensive).

The wife will be pleased that I have an extra £70 to spend on a sub :)

If anyone is interested Richer Sounds Milton Keynes quoted for a AVR 1906 on Saturday at £268.95 - not bad for a shop price.

Thanks to the posters.

Snow_Man_UK said:
The wife will be pleased that I have an extra £70 to spend on a sub :)

It's rare that someone asks for advice and actually ends up spending less than originally intended :D :D :devil:

barijohn,

I have pulled my hair out because i can not get my 1906 on screen display to come up on to the screen. I am using a hitachi 9700. I have input the dvd in to the component and comp out from the amp to the plasma. what do i need to bring this up?? it doesnt tell me anything in the book except switch on monitor
Thanks in advance mate

Try switching the remote to 'mode 1' (I think) this is the Audio/video slider switch in the middle, switch it to the left then press the OSD button, worked for me :)

Tried that mate, i think its cos im using the component out, i'll have to give the S video out a go tonight

bombay1 said:
Tried that mate, i think its cos im using the component out, i'll have to give the S video out a go tonight

Yep, pretty sure seen it mentioned the on-screen menu won't display via component, it displays by s-video or composite. Same with my T753

Dan.

Guys,

can anyone advise on what setting i should use on the amp to achieve a decent dolby surround, bearing in mind i am inputting only L and R audio in to the amp from my digital pace cable box. I know some channels are dolby surround so i was wondering what would be the best setting. Also how do i store and configure this??
Thanks in advance
Bombay1

bombay1 said:
Guys,

can anyone advise on what setting i should use on the amp to achieve a decent dolby surround, bearing in mind i am inputting only L and R audio in to the amp from my digital pace cable box. I know some channels are dolby surround so i was wondering what would be the best setting. Also how do i store and configure this??
Thanks in advance
Bombay1

Some channels will be surround sound, however without a digital output from the cable box (as you are using analogue L + R phonos) you will not get any real surround sound. If the pace box has an optical out or digital coaxial out you'll need to be using that instead. If not, then you can only use virtual surround modes which spreads the signal from L + R around the other speakers somewhat.

Try connecting a dvd player and connecting a digital output from it into the reciever, config the reciever to use the digital audio input from the dvd and you'll have some nice surround sound how the movie producer intended sound to go in terms of which sounds come from which speakers etc.

Dan.

Cheers Dan, I already have the dvd connected via the digital optical out and it sounds wicked!!! unfortunately the cable box doesn;t have one
bombay1

bombay1 said:
Cheers Dan, I already have the dvd connected via the digital optical out and it sounds wicked!!! unfortunately the cable box doesn;t have one
bombay1

You'll have some virtual surround sound modes on the 1906, check your instructions. You may wish to use the to add some surround depth to your tv viewing.

Hope that helps.

Dan.

Dolby Surround sound is sent via 2 phono leads so you can have analogue surround sound anyway.

On the other point the Amp retains the surround settings to the Input so it should automatically switch between Digital for the DVD and Analogue for the Pace Box.

HTH

barijohn said:
Dolby Surround sound is sent via 2 phono leads so you can have analogue surround sound anyway.
HTH

This would be just stereo though Left and Right (Correct me if wrong tho) so would be a downmix to left ad right.

Dan.

Dankeech said:
This would be just stereo though Left and Right (Correct me if wrong tho) so would be a downmix to left ad right.

Dan.

Dolby Surround uses a Matrix encoding to send Left, Right, Centre and Mono Rear Signals. Don't ask me how otherwise I'd rich and it'd be called Pollard Surround! :D

More info here: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/surround.html

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom