1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-1905

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bigfan, Dec 28, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bigfan

bigfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post :)

Here's my situation:

I have a Sony 930 Stereo amp, which I've had for 4-5 years and am more than happy with. For stereo reproduction, it does the job extremely well.

I have a pair of Celestion AVF 302 floorstanders, and a Mordaunt Short sub to back up the lower ends (these speakers lack the lower end).

Anyway, yesterday, I came across a bargain in the sale - the two matching compact rear speakers and the centre to go with my front floorstanders. All I need now is something to process the digital signal from my DVD player. I knew about the Yamaha DSP-E800, and found myself in luck when I found it in a local Hifi store (albeit a pre-owned model).

When I get the unit back home to plug it in, I found the pre-outs have a huge problem with hum. Nothing that I do will make the hum go away. This is obviously why the E800 was only £100!

Due to the unavailability of the Yamaha DSP E-800 new and at a cheap price....I have begun to look at full receivers. The one that has caught my eye is the Denon 1905 receiver.

If I get this, I plan to continue to use my Sony amp for CD purposes, while routing the processed signal from the Denon amp into my stereo amp, which will power the front two speakers. Basically, it will be set up as if the Denon is simply powering the rears and the centre.

Firstly...is this a good idea generally? Is the Denon amp a good'un? Lastly, is the setup method described the right way of going about things? Is using the pre-outs for the front speakers best, or would I be better off powering the whole system from the Denon, and having some sort of switchbox for the speaker cable used in the front speakers?

Cheers :)

2. bigfan

bigfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add another thing...as I'm using pre-outs....is the Denon 1905 a little bit overkill? Could I get away with a cheaper amp?

I know the Marantz SR4400 is on offer all over the place at the moment, but I also have heard that it's movie sound isn't perhaps as good as some others.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I don't believe the SR4400 has the required preouts for what you require.

Your original plan with the 1905 sounds a good'un, I'd stick with that mate :)

4. bigfan

bigfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers.

Sounds like a plan :)

5. bigfan

bigfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry...another question.

How much loss / interference can I expect by using the pre-outs? Will it be (for all intents and purposes) as good as a clean original source, say like the analogue outputs of the DVD player?

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The difference won't really be noticeable as long as you use high quality interconnects. The amps in your Sony will still do the signal justice.

7. bigfan

bigfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. :cool:

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I tried it once and couldn't tell any difference in sound using the pre-outs on the av amp ,i could notice a difference between the two amps though.

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    If you use good interconnects you should be fine :smashin:

10. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    New to this lark but some good advice always given so heres a conundrum for ya...
    Have a Sony STR-db1080 for processing and a Rotel RMB-1075 for power, recently bought a Rotel RC-1070 pre-amp to see the difference between it and the sony, wow! there is no comparison, I now have a problem as I use a DVD player only.

How can I integrate this sytem so that I can use the Rotels as my Hi-Fi source and bring the Sony in on the act when watching DVD's without damaging/blowing anything up! At the moment I have V.D. Hul interconnects connecting DVD player to pre amp and aan Ixos co-ax also running from DVD to the sony....
    I understand that a Yamaha DSP-e800 will do this fine but for 5.1 will I be able to use the 1075 or use it to power the fronts and the sony to power the centre and rears!!!!!
    Any help would be much appreciated!

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about your conundrum but it may be worth opening a separate thread to get a better response?