Denon AVR 1905 vs...?

GizmoStu

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm really keen to buy my first AV amp/receiver very soon. What I am really looking for is something that will cope well with both music (sourced from a CD) and DVD video. If anything it is likely that I'll use the setup more frequently for music than video. Unfortunately seperate AV and 2-channel setups are not an option. The missus is already getting the hump about me even buying the one amp so there no scope for extra kit (unless, of course, it is "pretty" ;) ). So, along with being more than capable of playing music, it must also come in at around £300-400.

I've been speaking to a few mates about what to get, along with a few salesmen and something that keeps coming up after mentioning my criteria is the Denon AVR-1905. Is this a good recommendation? Does anyone know of any other amps I should add to my shortlist before I start trying stuff out in the shop?

Any help much appreciated.

Stuart.

I have recently bought a Denon 1905 and am very pleased with it, music seems bright and clear, sound from all sources DVD, CD, Radio are all good and reasonably configurable for the price I paid £223 which I consider very reasonable.

Hi Stu, welcome to the forums!

I've just bought a Yamaha DSP-AX750 on its reputation for being good for stereo (it had a pure direct mode where all internal electronics are turned off apart from the amp ccts). I'm very happy with it for both movies and music - to the point of actually cackling with glee when playing Muse's Absolution a couple of nights ago!

About £350 although it had gone up last time I looked at Superfi. Another 'musical' amp is the Marantz 5400OSE (look at Peter Tyson, although it's Black), but stocks are limited as it's been replaced by the 5500. Also have a look at NAD receivers as they're supposedly good with music.

You can pick up the superb Marantz SR7400 for about £400 brand new as well now, it's RRP is £700. Home Cinema Choice magazine recently rated it as the most musical AV amp they had tested in its price bracket.

It is a bargain at £400. PM eviljohn2, he should be able to let you know where he got his for £400.

The Yammie it £380 at Superfi. Amazed the 7400 is that cheap.

<Fingers in ears> Don't want to hear about cheap amps anymore!

SR7400 is that cheap due to the imminent release of the SR7500 in the new year.

For £400, it is an absolute bargain!!

Thankyou very much for your help on this. I've got a few amps that I can compare now. The direct mode on the Yamaha 750 sounds like a pretty handy feature. I get the feeling that it's going to be a tough call!

GizmoStu, you are more than welcome to come and have a listen to my setup, Luton isn't too far from London, and I'll even get the biscuits out with some tea :)

But be warned you'll end up buying a sub like his as well :lesson:.

Tons of fun said:
But be warned you'll end up buying a sub like his as well :lesson:.

Nothing wrong with that at all :D :devil:

Well thanks for the offer, and thanks again for the advice for amps to put on my shortlist.

I'm fairly certain that the SVS PC Ultra won't be part of my initial set up, by the way! I live in a top floor flat! Don't want to scare the neighbours! Well, not that much anyway... :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom