1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-1804

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PEZ, Nov 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. PEZ

PEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to buy a 1804 for both movies and music. Since seeing that the output per channel (90W) is the same as the AVR-2803 I ask myself what is the difference? More extras but the amps are the same I assume.

Based on this knowledge, would it be ok to run some Monitor Audio speakers at 6ohms (Bronze B1, B4 & centre). I've spoken to some well known shops (no names) and some have said yes without a problem and others were not sure.

Unfortunately I can't get to test them together where I live...abroad so I' relying on everyone's good experience and judgement.:rolleyes:

thanks
    P

2. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    the 2803 uses AD "hammerhead sharc" processor & has 7 channels, which is better than the 1804 that is using AD "melody" processor, and only 6 chans
    and yes the denon will run the MA speakers fine

3. skelly13

skelly13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Pez, hope you enjoy the 1804 as much as I am, got it a couple of weeks ago and I'm chuffed to bits with it, movie-wise and music-wise

4. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've had the 1803 for about a year and am happy with it so the 1804 should be even better.

I'm using Tannoy R3's which are 6 Ohms and sound great.

5. PEZ

PEZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies...I feel happier now:p

6. jakefraser

jakefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just another tiny difference: The 2803 (and 3803) hav full 100Mhz component, but the 1804 has 30Mhz component (which is compatible with progressive scan, but i'm not sure about HDTV, not that it matters here in the UK!).

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AVR1804 isn't nearly as powerful as the 2803.

On paper, the 1804 is rated at 90wpc, but in practise (and when driving just five channels) it's actually only 35wpc. This is a rather poor power figure rating, and means that the AVR1804 is actually less powerful than the 1803.

I also saw the 1804 in my local sevenoaks a few days ago, and the build quality wasn't finished to as high-a-standard as the 1803.

That said, I own an 1803 and am extremely happy with it.

Dimmy

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dimmy, I guess you got the 35w from HCC test this month?
    Anyway, my personal opinion is that don't trust UK mags too much. I rather go for real music/movies sound tests by some one independent, like areadvd.

Areadvd

"The Denon AVR-1804 seemed to be a very good match for all requirements. In addition endurance tests lasting two three-hours have been very well sustained by the AVR-1804 – and this at a high level (turn 1 with 80 % of the maximum level, turn 2 is changing with 60 up to 90 percent of the maximum level, each turn for 1,5 hours with the active subwoofer and for 1,5 hours without the active subwoofer). Even half an hour of use at almost maximum level (95 percent) has been managed by the Denon, without switching off or without any noticeable loss in dynamics,- and bass - overall an excellent performance. Above all we have been greatly impressed by the perfect reproduction achieved by the AVR-1804 connected to extensive stand loudspeakers. The connection to nuBox 580, which we used as front loudspeakers, was excellent. Denon provided convincing proof of powerful volume, a solid and powerful bass, combined with perfect precision. At the "Pod Race"-sequency from "Star Wars: Episode 1" Denon demonstrated outstanding results. In this respect it is even in a position to compete with the Yamaha RX-V740 . Denon is also able to manage increased volumes, which was also proved with the "Chronos"-trailer on the seventh DTS Demo DVD. With its convincing volume and outstanding resultant power it also collected points from 85 up to 90 percent of the maximum volume - well done ! With the DVD audio-reproduction of Ludwig van Beethoven's Third symphony (96 kHz/24-bits-6-channel) the AVR-1804 presented no problems with increased volume demands."

For me that doesn't sound like 35watts to me. And they used these speakers - Nubert nuBox 5.1-Set, KEF KHT-2005.2, KEF KHT-3005, Mirage Omnisat -

Anyway, that is my personal opinion. I guess I'm pushing for members to use areadvd more as not everyone including me have the opportunity or time to test things and although opinions from members are invaluable, areadvd is still a good guidance for people who wants some tests to guide them.

Wasabi

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasabi - like it or not, I strongly doubt that HCC 'rigged' the lab tests so they could speak badly of the AVR1804. I only pointed out the 35wpc actual power rating because the original thread started had been misleaded to believe it delivered 90wpc. I didn't say this is 35wpc of awful sounding power output, but it is less than the 1803.

Dimmy

10. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the AVR2802, and have owned the 1602. Looking at the specs for the 1804, I'd say that a s/h 2803 (or even a 2802) would be a better buy. Its got more ummph and has pre-outs on all channels, not just the sub. It would also cost less. I bought mt 2802 s/h for £300 a year ago and I've seen ex-dem and s/h for less.

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'd definitely agree with you.

Even S/H AVR3802's go for as little as £300 on these forums, which is truly a bargain.

Even the Sevenoaks sales assistant I spoke to said the 1804 hadn't advanced much on the 1803 at all, and infact had lost a little along the way.

Dimmy

12. FC101

FC101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dimmy, I will be buying the 1803 till the ?3804? with Pro Logic IIx...comes out.

What was the 1803's output tested at?

1803/1804 Question: They both have 6 amps, but the 6th channel has 2 speaker outputs, thus you can run 2 speakers from that one amp. I want to connect 2 8ohm speakers, sensitivity of 89.

(1) Will they effectively be connected in parallell,
    (2) Will the receiver be able to handle it,
    (3) Do you know of a thread of someone actually using 2 speakers.

My local Denon agent said to use only one speaker ouput and wire the 2 speakers in series, BUT why are there 2 speaker outputs then??