1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-1803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Timh, Sep 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Has anyone got this Receiver yet? it has similer spec to the 2802 with less power, but its only £298 at unbeatable, could be a good budget amp, a Yamaha 630 eater maybe.

Quote from Denon

DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 and Dolby Pro Logic II with Power Amps for 6 Channels
    The AVR-1803 is equipped with 6 amplifiers of equal power, one for each channel, in a discrete configuration for total accuracy when reproducing sound from demanding DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, Dolby Digital, DVD-Audio, and SACD sources. The Dolby Pro Logic II feature lets you hear 2-channel stereo sources in realistic 5.1-channel surround sound. For multi-room versatility, the AVR-1803's Multi Source function lets you enjoy audio, for instance, in one room while another program source is playing in the main room.

2. millsy

millsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    you can also pop over to www.denon.co.uk and click on news, there is a link for the uk spec sheet.

4. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim mate, thanks for the post! I was after a Yamaha RX-V630 until today. Would have loved a Denon 2802 but it was way too expensive compared to the RX-V630.
    Now it seems that Denon have a brilliant new model and the price is very aggressive (and its just come out!)

Is it fair to say that Yamaha will be forced to reduce their prices now? After all, it seems stupid to pay more for a slightly less powerful Rx-V630, which doesnt have the DTS ES Discrete 6.1 (only the matrixed DTS ES) ? Plus i think Yamaha is usually a cheaper brand than Denon? Plus Denon (i think) is always made in Japan.

I think 1803 beats rx-v630 by quality, power, features, looks (much nicer display panel) and price obviously.

5. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It does have an alomst total lack of pre-outs though (sub only) meaning that if you want a pair of surround backs they must each be >12 Ohms.

Charles.

6. rob j

rob j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    How much does the 1803 differ from the 3802, other than that the latter has 7 channels with more power.

Does it have the same features?

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes, but if you only want one surround back its 8 ohms, one should be enough for me :)

You also get a Tuner chucked in :) seems to good to be true, I was also contemplating the Yamaha. Not anymore.

8. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sounds great for the price, i think i might be getting one once i hear more about its performance.

9. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I too am very interested in this amp but I seem to remember talk earlier in the year about the 2802 having some problems with it's decoding chip and was warned off buying one by more than one dealer because of it, the only reason I mention it is because the new 1803 seems very like the 2802 and I'm wondering if they share the same components, I could be wrong, can anybody clear this up for me?

As far as I know the Yamaha does do DTS-ES Discrete 6.1

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    The product sheet mentions at one point it is Matrix and another point mentions DTS-ES compatible, why say compatible and not Descreet?

11. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two things i found out:

a) Aparrently 1803 is made in Malaysia, not Japan like 2802.
    However, it still is a great receiver as far as i am concerned

b) Richer Sounds will be getting them in stock in about 2-3 weeks time, so they said. They should know the prices in about 2 weeks from now.

Even at the prices from www.unbeatable.co.uk, it seems 1803 is actually cheaper in UK than in Germany, from what i can gather.
    And that proves to me that Yamaha receivers like RX-V630 are way overpriced. It would take a big price drop and would have to be a lot cheaper than 1803 for me to buy an RX-V630.

RX-V630 does NOT have DTS ES Discrete. Never did. It only has the matrixed DTS ES. Difference may not be noticeable, but it still is a feature worth something.

12. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So are there any other shops selling 1803, apart from "unbeatable" and Avland ?

13. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But does anyone know how good it sounds?
    Is it similar in sound to the 2802 as the spec is similar or 1802?
    And did they sound good in the first place :) (having never heard them myself)

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I am about to order the 1803 from unbeatable, the only downer is they do not stock it and it takes 14 days for delivery from the manufacturers. :(

Hope its a good one :rolleyes:

15. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though i've already taken the plunge (ordered the 6200 this afternoon) i got a reply from Frank Harvey saying that they expect the 1803's to start coming in next week. Though you'd have to get a price beat from them as i think they have them at £349.

Shaun

16. silverpines

silverpines

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hobbes,

Where did you find a 6200 and what price did you pay? I have been looking around and still can't decide whether to wait for a 5300 or 6300 or get a cheaper X200 series model. I am finding it increasingly difficult to find anyone with any stock left.

Any info would be appreciated.

17. hobbes

hobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check your mail mate

Shaun

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Ordered :D

19. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim, I would be REALLY interested to hear your experience when you receive yours. Ie. does it sound good, is it easy to set up etc.

I am ready to order mine but i dont like having to wait too long, so i would rather try to buy it when they have them in stock.

Did they tell you when they are expecting the 1803 in stock?

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Chucky

I will certainly give my oppinions on the 1803 when it arrives, they told me they do not stock it and it would take upto 14 days for delivery as they have to order direct from the manufacturer.

It should be a good one, Denon usually get good reviews.

Sad, but I have allready started to make some new pages for my Pronto remote to control the 1803 :D
    I have just installed my surround back speaker, I just need 12 metres of QED 79 to finish it off.

21. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Placed my own order with unbeatable. I decided not to wait for people like RS and others that said it may take many weeks before they have them in stock.
    Besides, i would be able to cancel my order if they take too long and if RS start quoting a cheaper price.

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Chucky
    You may beat me to it, i opted for the buy now pay later at no extra charge, still waiting for the forms, they should be here tomorrow.
    Let me know when you receive it. It would also be interesting to hear your oppinions on this Receiver.

23. martin

martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone considering the Pioneer VSX-D811s(£303- online). Specs include DD5.1EX, DTS ES, PLII. etc. check out Pioneers website at http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/product_detail.jsp?product_id=1571&taxonomy_id=62;98 I'm considering this amp to keep to my silver theme. I hope to be auditioning this amp at this months Manchester show . Till then i'm in a dilema the DENON 1803 or the PIONEER 811:confused:

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Looks like another bargain :) about time we started getting some good deals in the UK.
    The only nagative point I can see is it has no componant switching, I need this, one for my progressive dvd player and one for a DVD recorder with componant out when they get cheaper.

25. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know why you have a dilemma because Pioneer isnt upto the class of even Yamaha. And Denon is usually considered even higher. Some would disagree of course, but all i am trying to say is that at the price of 1803, you'd be getting much more quality and bang for your buck.

26. Chucky

Chucky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timh any news from your side? I am getting a bit edgy because one shop in London claims that release date for UK for 1803 has been pushed back to October or even Novemeber.
    :clown:

For now i dont believe them because in Germany its been out and in shops for weeks!

Apart from unbeatable and avland, any places selling 1803 yet ?

27. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Chucky

No news yet, I am going to email unbeatable later to see if they can give me an E.T.A on the 1803. :(

28. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi chucky

I had te replys today the first from Denon then unbeatable.

Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately the AVR-1803 isn't available yet but is due for delivery into us in about a week's time. It should
    therefore be with our dealers by the end of the month.

and unbeatable
    Denon have advised they should receive delivery of this item within the next 2-3 days

Hopefully we should receive them next week then.

29. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just ordered one of these from unbeatable myself on Tuesday, the spec looks very good indeed at the price they're doing it for. I normally don't buy my equipment unheard but at the price and with Denon's reputation I'm going ahead and betting on it... Can't wait for it to arrive!!! :D

30. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    That makes three :D

What colour, I went for Gold, a pitty as my other kit is silver, apart from my outgoing sony receiver.