Denon AVR 1730 & Pioneer SC-LX71 both no longer outputting video

haikira

Standard Member
Reaction score
Up until last week, my setup has been a Pioneer SC-LX71 Receiver, paired with a Pioneer KRP-500A Plasma Television and an Optoma HD200x Projector. The devices plugged into the receiver are a PS3, Xbox360 and a Wii-U. I wanted to purchase a brighter projector than the HD200x and one with 3D capabilities, so after looking around I settled on the BenQ W1070.

Almost immediately after replacing the HD200x with the new projector, I started having problems. It began with flickering of the image output from the Receiver, when I tried to automatically set up the video resolution with the PS3. Then no video output whatsoever. The amplifier still works, I can navigate the menus using the OSD on the front and it's still passing through audio. But I can get no video signal out of it.

I was able to replace the amplifier with another to hand, a Denon AVR 1713. This setup was working fine for a few days, until around the same time I believe I tried to automatically set up the resolution with the PS3 again. This produced flickering, followed by total video out failure. Same again, the AVR 1713 still outputs the audio from my sources and i can still navigate the menus. There's just no video output, whatsoever.

This has left me with two AV receivers that can't output video. To make it clear, they literally output no video whatsoever, it's not simply that the sources won't pass through them. I have no idea how this has happened, but the W1070 seems to be the culprit. The W1070 still works perfectly fine however and in the meantime, i'm sending the video directly from my PS3 to the projector and separately i'm sending the audio to the AVR 1713. This is however just a temporary solution and i'd like to properly fix this.

Here are the following things I've tried. I've tried multiple monitors and televisions with both receivers, I've tried different HDMI cables, I've tried following guides to reset the HDMI handshake of the devices and I've tried resetting the AVR 1713 to factory default settings. None of these have produced any results however.

I'd be grateful for any advice anyone could provide for this very unusual problem and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:
It sounds like you're using normal speed HDMI cables, but trying to use a resolution (1080p, deep colour or 3D) that requires high speed cabling - a fairly common problem, BTW. Details here.

Leave the PS3 at 1080i, 2D, without deep colour until you can replace the HDMI cabling with certified, high speed cabling. (How long are the cables?)

It sounds like you're using normal speed HDMI cables, but trying to use a resolution (1080p, deep colour or 3D) that requires high speed cabling - a fairly common problem, BTW. Details here.

Leave the PS3 at 1080i, 2D, without deep colour until you can replace the HDMI cabling with certified, high speed cabling. (How long are the cables?)

I have plugged the PS3 directly into another monitor and changed the resolution down to 720p 2D. This didn't seem to help.

The thing is. Regardless of the PS3 though, the receivers won't output anything. If i simply plug either of the AV receivers to a monitor and want to use the menus for example, i can't. There's literally no video output from both receivers now. Simply as if the W1070 has somehow broken their ability to output video.

The two cables I've tried for the projector are both about 25 feet. Though I've tried a variety of smaller cables when plugging the receivers into different monitors and televisions.

I'll look into buying high speed cables though. Thanks for the response.

EDIT: It turns out one of the cables i have, does say high speed on it. It's this cable here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008JR72SO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just tried plugging my receiver into different monitors with it and had no luck.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I had understood the failure to originate with the reconfiguration for higher speeds arising from the replacement of the HD200x with the BenQ W1070. It also seemed rather unlikely that two independent receivers would fail i na similar manner simultaneously.

You might like to try connecting the Pioneer to the TV using a new (or borrowed), short (no more than 2m), certified, high speed cable and resetting the Pioneer to factory default settings (manual page 98) to see whether this has any effect. If it does, repeat with the Denon.

If this does not help, we must assume that the changes and simultaneity of the failures are merely coincidental. With both receivers' HDMI now no longer working under any circumstances, it must be concluded that both the SC-LX71 and AVR-1730 have concurrently, if unusually, developed similar faults. In this case you'll need to get them serviced,

Just a small update.

I'm still getting zero video output from both amplifiers. One thing I've noticed though, is i'll get audio from the source. But this only works, when the amplifier and display aren't connected. Once i connect a cable between the HDMI output of the amplifier and the display, there's no more audio. I found this very strange.

Since starting this thread, I've brought the Denon 1713 back to the place i purchased it. In this case, it was Richersounds. They plugged the machine in, identical to how i would and it worked perfectly fine for them. I have no idea how this can be though. I've tried it with many different monitors, televisions and cables and had no such luck. In the store they recommended I try Cambridge Audio 700 Series cables. They sold me a pair of them and very kindly said they'd refund them, if they didn't fix the problem. Well in my case, they haven't. I've tried them with both amplifiers on multiple displays. I've also tried resetting the HDMI handshake many times, using guides online. I've also recently purchased and tried very short high speed cables, sold by amazon. I've had no luck with any of this.

I'm absolutely at a loss why it worked perfectly fine for them in the store and i'm having no luck at home, trying it with many different cables and with different displays. I'm going to call Denon support tomorrow and see if i have any luck with that.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I am no longer testing with the BenQ W1070. I've sent it back for a full refund, from the site i purchased it from.

The list of displays i'm testing the two amplifiers on.

Sony KDL40V4000
ASUS VE278Q
Pioneer KRP-500A

Last edited:
In your first post (as per the title), you said you weren't getting video. In your latest post, you say you aren't getting audio "when the amplifier and display aren't connected". :confused:

Let's keep things simple and test just one simple setup

I'm going to ask you to make connections as follows:
PS3 -> Denon AVR-1713 -> Sony KDL40V4000
where -> represents a certified HDMI high speed cable, acting as a direct connection. There are no other devices connected to or from any of the above except the speakers to the receiver, there are no other connections between the devices except the HDMI cables, there are no switches, splitters or any other items along the signal path. The PS3's HDMI output is connected to the Bluray input on the Denon, whilst the Denon's HDMI Monitor out is connected to the Sony's HDMI In 1.

On the 1713 (manual pages 90 on) verify or alter the following settings: HDMI Audio Out = AVR, HDMI Control = On, Format = PAL, digital assignments reset to default, Input select = Auto, Decode Mode 0 Auto, Video Source = Default.

On the Sony, ensure Control for HDMI (aka Bravia Sync) = On.

Test the setup using the PS3 as the source, and report the exact symptoms. Sound should be played through the speakers attached to the Denon, whilst the picture should be visible on the Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom