Denon AVR-1708-B any good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by simz, Jan 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. simz

simz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Im looking to get a new amp, i've got my eye on the black Denon AVR-1708-B.

Can anyone who has this tell me if they are any good?

Also with this amp handle Dolby True HD ect from the PS3 and my Toshiba HD-E1 over HDMI?

2. simz

simz
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just being reading about and it seems that SONY STRDG910 might better suit my needs?

3. rwniel

rwniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Both the Denon AVR-1708 and Sony STR-DG910 are good av receivers; I would suggest you get a demo (along with the Onkyo SR605). The STR-910 is a popular choice because it's the cheapest av receiver that will do LPCM sound over hdmi and is therefore a good match for the PS3 and HD-E1 ( - decoding of TrueHD is done by the player before being passed to the receiver through the single hdmi along with video). It also has 3 hdmi sockets unlike many receivers (which usually only have two). It'll also upscale component sources over hdmi which the AVR-1708 won't do, leading to simpler cabling between the av receiver and your television with non-hdmi sources.

Robert

4. ShadowTD

ShadowTD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm currently considering the 1908 for one main reason: 7.1. My living room is quite long and fairly optimally designed for 7.1 placement, so I'd be a bit daft to ignore that. However, the Sony 910 (and I believe the Onkyo 605) are unable to apply Prologic IIx processing to a 5.1 pcm source to use all four rear speakers - they can only do 7.1 when fed 7.1. The 1908 can apply surround back processing to a 5.1 pcm input. It can also upscale to HDMI. However, it doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-MA onboard (not that I think those things are particularly neccessary).

The Pioneer 1018 will do *all* of these things. I think I'll probably hang fire to see how it reviews before I actually put my hand in my pocket. My DSP-A5's lasted 7+ years and I fully intend to have its replacement for at least as long...