Denon AVR-1707 broken? (no sound, h/p only text visible and cannot be removed)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by V-Lo, Oct 9, 2007.

Tags:
  1. V-Lo

V-Lo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I just ran into trouble with my Denon AVR-1707 amp. I was watching a movie on my dvd, as I've done hundreds of times before. Ca 30 minutes into the movie, the 1707 starts cutting of the sounds with short intervals, and at the same time the text "h/p only" is displayed on the amp's screen! This goes on for a while (sound from the movie is heard, then cut off, heard again etc. etc.), until I get tired and turn off the amplifier.

When I turn it back on, I don't get any sound out of the amplifier from any source (tv, dvd player, x360)!! When I press the status-button on my remote, the text h/p only is displayed?!

There was no mention of this in the manual, but I assume h/p only stands for headphones only. However, I have never plugged in a pair of headphones in the amp, so that's not the case. My first assumption was that the amp is broken somehow and assumes that headphones are plugged in even though they are not? And to make it worse, I can't find any "output" button or similar anywhere on the remote or the amp itself so that I could try to switch the "h/p only" setting off!

I'd be most grateful for any help on this issue, as it is driving me nuts. Is there some way to reset the whole machine, if nothing else helps? I've still got warranty left, so that's not a problem but if there's a simple solution to this problem then that would always be easier than to haul the amp to back to the store and wait several weeks for a new amp. Cheers!

edit: fixed the title

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Sounds as if the Amp may be erroneously detecting headphones.Try plugging one in to the headphone socket. It could be that the contact inside the socket that breaks when you plug one in, has gone high resistance. Plugging headphones in and out may 'cycle' the contacts and clear the fault.

3. V-Lo

V-Lo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cheers, that seemed to do the trick! :thumbsup:

Is this a common "feature" of Denon amps, ie. should I still get the thing fixed or just try to live with it in case this happens again?