1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-1706/1906: No upconversion to component. What about Yamaha?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stewada, Aug 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just spoken to AVLand and had to cancel my order for a Denon 1706. AVLand advertised it as having up-conversion to component but it turns out that Denon have changed the spec for the UK market so that it's conversion is the same as the 1705. This also applies to the 1906 which also DOES NOT do up-conversion to component.

The guy at AVLand recommended the Yamaha RX-V657 or DSP-AX757SE which do upconversion to component.

My question is what are the major differences between these two Yamaha's (apart from the obvious lack of a radio in the latter)? They are about £100 different in price. Is the £100 worth spending?

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    A few people who owned the old 650 have upgraded to the 750 because they said it sounded better and more powerful. It alsdo has a more advanced auto setup I believe. I also think its heaveir so will have a bigger power supply so will be able to put out more power with all channels driven.

You ca also get a rxv-757 in this country now i believe or if not save some moeny and buy it from Germany. MANY threads about buying from Germany so do a search on it before asking questions please. :)

3. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea how good the conversion to component is?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    I don't think it embellishes it- just makes sure it goes out the component video sockets.
    My answer therefore would be "very similar."

5. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just concerned that it may degrade the picture. I'll be running Sky+ and a video recorder through it. Not too worried about the video recorder (as the quality will be fairly poor anyway) but my girlfriend will freak if the picture from Sky+ ends up looking worse. Help! Anyone! My relationship may be on the line... :)

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    Unless you buy an RGB to YUV (or to VGA I suppose) convertor, my suggestion would be to leave the Sky Box running through RGB as you won't improve it otherwise.

7. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would except I'm going to be running my cables about 8 metres from the AV Amp to the plasma. And since I'm going to be chasing the wall to get them there I was hoping not to have to run a scart as well as the component, HDMI (for future proofing), and audio. Especially since most scarts seem to be really thich and chunky.

8. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    RGB-YUV convertor then. If you are burying stuff in walls it will probably be the most sensible option.

9. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so if I use the RGB-YUV converter then I'd prolly want to save money on the AV receiver/amp.

Thinking about it I suppose the following would be resonable. Can anyone suggest other?

I would end up going back to my original choice of receiver (which was the 1706) and connect in the following way.

@ Video -> Amp (via composite or s-video) -> plasma (via composite or s-video)
    @ Sky+ -> Amp (via RGB-YUV converter) -> plasma (via YUV)
    @ DVD player -> Amp (via YUV) -> plasma (via YUV)

This means I would need to run either a composite or s-video to the plasma in addition to the YUV, HDMI, and audio. Now how would I get the s-video or composite into the scarts on the plasma? I assume I can use an adapter for it but what would I do with the audio? I don't want to have to run a separate audio cable for the video... aaargh. I so need some help. This is doing my head in :)

10. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What inputs does your tv have? A lot have an Svideo and a composite input instead of adapting it to the scart. Also why are you sending audio to your tv when you have an amp?

Edit: Sorry, didn't read your post thoroughly. I take it your video doesn't have an audio out?

11. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is that my girlfriend wants to make sure that she can play audio through the TV if need be. In the end I've managed to convince her that we don't need to have the video permanently hooked up and can always manually hook it up if she ever wants to play a video. We use the Sky+ for recording anyway and will probably get a DVD recorder at some stage which I imagine will have YUV anyway?

12. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about a Marantz SR5500?

13. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does that do component upconversion? And if so what is the quality like. I'm guessing that none of the £300 -£500 receivers can match the quality of the JS SCART-YUV converter or am I putting too much faith in this converter?

14. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    I think it might be worth clarifying that with the exception of Yamaha's not inconsiderably expensive Z9, AV amps that upscale do so as a convenience feature rather than a performance enhancing feature- the image will look broadly like it did going in. In the case of the $ky box this means that S-VHS won't be as good as the RGB out even if the amp is squirting it out the component outs.

15. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the conclusion I'm gradually coming to. So until Sky (or $ky as you call it :)) releases HiDef boxes Isuppose I should stick with the JS Converter. On that note is JS the best one to get or just the most cost effective?

16. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does, and I would prefer it to the Denon 2105 in all things concerning amps quality and real current and musicality... a friend of mine regreted buying the AVR2105 instead of the SR5500... but the Marantz wasn't yet available and he was in a hurry...

17. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it still wouldn't compare with a YUV converter?

18. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No it wont. The more expensvie option is also get a scaler at a later date. I think its the only way of enhancing the quality short of buying a Z9 :eek:

19. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought.

I have my video feeding via composite into my DVD Recorder (Panasonic E85), then onto my projector.

This gives a great picture as the E85 does an excellent job of upscaling the signal. It looks better than through the TV!

Only downside of this is I can't record on the E85 and watch the video through it at the same time, as it only displays the currently selected channel.
    But that's very minor for me.

Currently my setup is as follows.

Freeview -> AV2 -> CRT TV

Freeview -> AV1 (RGB) -> DVD Rec -> Projector
    OR
    Freeview -> AV1 (Component) -> Projector

Video -> TV

Video -> DVD Rec (via Scart with composite breakout)-> Projector

I hope to buy a Denon AVR-1706 soon so I can use it to switch between
    the component outputs on my E85, Freeview Box and Xbox.