1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-1705/1905: How should I connect to minimise cabling?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by stewada, Jul 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking to put together a surround setup at home with the following video sources:

Video player, Toshiba DVD player, Sky+

I've been looking at the Denon AVR-1705.

My question is: I want to get the best possible picture quality out of each video source but want to minimise the number of connections from the receiver to my intended Plasma TV (probably a Hitachi 42PD7200 or Panasonic TH42PV500). The idea being that the plasma sits on its own on one wall and the sources and receiver... etc sit on a shelf to the side of the room.

From looking at the manual for the AVR-1705 I get the impression that:

- For the DVD player to use "component" I would need to connect the receiver with the TV using component.
    - My video (which has scart and composite connections) would necessitate another cable to the TV (most likely composite).
    - Sky+ (which has scart and S-video) would also necessitate an S-video cable (assuming that S-video is better than composite).

Then there's audio to the TV as well from the receiver (so that I could use the built-in speakers of the TV if required).

That means 4 seperate cables running to the TV. Not very pretty. And to cap it all the wall I want to mount the Plasma on is a solid brick wall making cable management inside the wall impossible.

Is there a smarter way to do what I'm trying to do?

I've also looked at the AVR-1905 manual which says that it does conversion from composite to S-video which would decrease the cabling by one.

I've looked for articles which talk about cabling but they all seem to be more interested in the price of cables that minimising the number of connections.

Any ideas?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Hi

You're best bet would be an Amp that has Video Up-Conversion to Component for all sources. Unfortunately that would mean increasing your budget up to around 500 quid. Not sure if you want to go that route or not. It would mean only one cable from the Amp to your Plasma though.

3. stewada

stewada
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and when HDTV comes in will that require direct connection from the HD box to the HDMI port missing out the receiver entirely?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    If the Amp/Receiver has HDMI switching you could go through that. At the moment there are only a handful around that have it and they're quite pricey. Might be worth waiting a little while as there are Amps on the horizon that will have HDMI switching as well as Analogue to HDMI up-conversion. The Denon A11XV has it now but it's 2500 quid.