Denon AVR-1612

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jim2012, Jul 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, this is my first post here so be gentle with me. :)

I've just bought a Panasonic DMR-BWT720 HD HDD & Blu ray recorder to go with my Samsung HD TV and Sony Home Cinema & Blu Ray player. I was hoping to just use the Sony (a BDV-E820) as a surround sound unit, but it will not play ball. It refuses to decode any surround information from Blu ray disks, even though it is happy to do so if I play them in the Sony unit itself. This appears to be something to do with copy protection.

Anyway, my perceived solution is to replace the Sony altogether (as the blu ray part of it isn't required any more) with a dedicated AV Receiver and have been looking at the Denon AVR-1612, which seems to be a bargain at the moment.

I have 3 questions: -

1. Will the Denon take the bitstream signal from my HD recorder via HDMI and decode it into surround sound, or will it be like the Sony and refuse to do it for any copy-protected disks - i.e. any blu ray disk I buy!).

2. Do these AV Receivers work with the HDMI 'control' system so that it will switch automatically to the correct source. {EDIT - forget this question; I've found a more detailed specification that tells me it does}

3. Can anyone recommend a suitable set of speakers to go with the Denon unit?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  2. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Do you have model number of that Sony unit correct? I can't find a BDV-E820 online. What makes you think that the problem is something to do with copy protection? Isn't it more likely that the problem is that the Sony system doesn't have the ability to decode the HD bitstreams internally? Can you set the player to do the decoding and output PCM over the HDMI connection instead?

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The Denon will decode all audio from any current blurays with no issues. The problem you have is that the Sony all in one system is not designed as a receiver so will not decode external HD audio.
    HDMI control will work with all AV receivers although it can be a little hit and miss (as it is with all components to be honest). Personally I would just get a Logitech Harmony all in one remote as it will give more functionality and work better.
    What budget would you have for the speakers? You will most likely not be able to use your current Sony speakers. The Jamo A102 would be a good budget option or Boston accoustics Soundwares. If you could afford a little more then The Monitor Audio Vectors or Q Accoustics 2000 would be ones to look at.

4. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Presuming the OP means a BDV-E280 rather than an 820, the HDMI inputs do include DD 5.1 and dts 5.1 decoders, but no HD decoders and only two-channel PCM. I don't know if it's possible to set up the Blu-ray recorder to downconvert HD formats to standard 5.1 or not...

5. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Would turning on "BD-Video secondary audio" (manual page 92) cause HD audio formats to be downmixed to standard DD5.1 / dts 5.1, which the Sony should be able to handle? Ref note 1, bottom of page 114.

6. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies so far. Sorry about the Sony model number, that was finger trouble on my part; it should have been E280 as someone guessed.

Thanks to PSM1 for the speaker suggestions, however my jaw dropped at the total price for a full set of speakers, especially if these are budget - maybe I'm being unrealistic thinking I could get a set for under £200?

Steve- I've tried just about every permutation imaginable to get the Panny recorder to send a usable signal to the Sony, so far without success (though I'm still mucking about with it).

7. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, having said that about the suggested speakers, these ones are very close to my budget. Hmmm.

Boston Acoustics 5.1 MKII Surround Sound Speaker System - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Why are these one so much more expensive, though? They appear very similar.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boston-Acoustics-Soundware-Cinema-Speaker/dp/B0075X1EVO

Some more very similar ones. I need to do a bit more study - anyway, I'm now firmly pointed in the right direction - thanks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boston-Acoustics-BASNDWRXSB-SoundWare-5-1/dp/B002QT6PW0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343575202&sr=1-1

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  8. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few statements in the manual about HDMI inputs not accepting certain sound formats if they contain copy protection.

There's also a table in the manual that shows that BV/DVD supported formats (LPCM 5.1 & 7.1, Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, and various other HD formats) are much more extensive than HDMI or Optical Digital In, which only seem to support LPCM 2ch, Dolby Digital and DTS.

9. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    They're talking about copy protection on SACD and DVD-Audio discs. Have you tried turning on secondary audio as I suggested earlier?

10. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve. Yes I just tried it again to make sure and the surround sound just comes out in stereo.

11. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Did you have the HDMI output format set to bitstream at the same time?

12. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve, an apology is in order. I see you've just suggested setting output to bitstream, which I have just this minute tried, and it works! You're a genius!

Maybe part of the problem was that my 'test' blu ray disk is (I now realise) in 7.1 surround. Perhaps a 5.1 would have worked straight off.

Anyway, many thanks. I can now put off the receiver purchase until I fancy an upgrade to my system.

13. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +822
    Ah, great stuff - although I bet you're *slightly* disappointed that you don't have to buy a new amp and speakers. ;)

You should investigate the implications of Secondary Audio though. I'm not sure how it works or whether having it switched on permanently will cause certain discs to play back oddly. Others more knowledgeable than I might be able to pop in at this point and expand on this.

14. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm only very slightly disappointed; I'm still working on regaining my brownie points after buying the recorder! :laugh:

I've tried a 5.1 blu ray disk, and it seems OK - I don't know the sound track well enough to find an obvious identifiable sound from the surround speakers, though. However, it shows up as DTS in the Sony display, so presumably it's OK (the 7.1 blu ray shows 'Dolby Digital', which is the same as before, except now it's using the surround speakers).

15. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a few problems with the Sony crashing out and only coming back on after switching off recorder, sony and TV then switching back on (this happened occassionally before, but is now more frequent and very annoying).

So....I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Denon 1612 for £199 from Amazon. Seems like a bargain, so I thought it was worth getting in quick rather than procrastinating further.

I couldn't decide on speakers yet, so will soon be haunting the 'speakers' forum, which I've just discovered. :cool:

16. Pikeyp

Pikeyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    How are you getting on with the Denon? I'm thinking of getting one myself!

It would be replacing a real cheap (and nasty?!) Sony STR-KS600P unit which I'm sure is near the end of it's life!
    I'm hoping I can do a straight swap and use the Sony speakers with the Denon until funds allow buying some better speakers.

Would this work do you think? Thanks for any advice folks!

17. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still waiting for it to arrive! :(

18. Pikeyp

Pikeyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    OK Jim , please let us know how you get on!

19. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's arrived today and I'm just about to open the box.

The banana plugs and the subwoofer lead are here and the speaker cable is waiting at the Royal Mail office.

Speakers are still waiting to be despatched! :rolleyes:

20. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correction, email to say speakers were despatched came in while I was typing that! :D

21. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got everything now - just to connect up. I'll report back, but I may be some time. :)

22. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I have to say I'm very happy with this set up!

Works no problem with my recorder and TV, including the HDMI control, and sounds very nice indeed.

I'm currently finding my way round the menus to tweak the settings to suit my other gear - one thing I can't seem to sort out is how to view the Audio Signal Information when it's being fed from the TV (via ARC)- obviously with the TV on, the menu from the receiver doesn't show up, and you can't view that part of the menu on the front panel display. Is there a way?

23. Pikeyp

Pikeyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Jim , bit late with a reply here!
    Anyway I've bought one of these Denons myself plus a Harmon Kardon HKTS 7 speaker set .. very nice so far I have to say!!

I can't help with your question though , still finding my way around the menu myself .. in between drilling holes in the wall for the speakers ... help here maybe? ... BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY

footnote .. whoever designed these H/K wall mounts needs shooting ... totally bonkers ..

24. Jim2012

Jim2012
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pikep - great link!