Denon AVR 1612 Question

reddot556

Standard Member
Hi People,
This is my first post. I am definitely not a tech savvy type guy. I do have a home theatre set up with the following:
Mitsubishi 75" LaserVue
Denon 1612
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-Ray player
Klipsch center speaker
And awesome Flush mount in the wall speakers for front and rear
The system sounds nice but i think i have a problem
When i'm in Tivo mode or "cable tv" the denon reciever shows my soung coming in as Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital+..thats ok..i think
when i switch over to "BD" on the reciever and put in a blu-ray disc,a regular disc or watch Netflix through the DVD player it only shows: MULTI CHAN
Looking at the owners manual..(only on cd-rom???) it lists a lot of different types of sound: Dolby Digital,Dolby TrueHD Dolby Digital Plus,DTS,DTS-HD /
DTS Express..but it only shows: MULTI CHAN.....Is this the correct way this is supposed to work??
Pics of my home theatre setup..rear speakers are in the ceiling

'

dante01

Distinguished Member
You need to configure the player's HDMI audio output and set this to AUTO. This will then bitstream the raw format via HDMI to the receiver. You also need to turn any instance of secondary audio mixdown off on the player.

reddot556

Standard Member
You need to configure the player's HDMI audio output and set this to AUTO. This will then bitstream the raw format via HDMI to the receiver. You also need to turn any instance of secondary audio mixdown off on the player.

It was set to AUTO, secondary audio mixdown is off..problem persists...unless MULTI CHAN is like a umbrella name? consisting of all the different sound modes?

reddot556

Standard Member
ok..i think i fixed it..does this sound right?
i went to menu:Surr.Parameter: then i picked pro logic, before it was just on "cinema"
i put in a blu-ray disc of BlackHawk Down and i noticed immediatley on my recievers display it said Dolby Digital instead of MultiChan...Sounded good

dante01

Distinguished Member
ok..i think i fixed it..does this sound right?
i went to menu:Surr.Parameter: then i picked pro logic, before it was just on "cinema"
i put in a blu-ray disc of BlackHawk Down and i noticed immediatley on my recievers display it said Dolby Digital instead of MultiChan...Sounded good

The discrete multichannel audio formats will override Pro Logic processing so having it set on Pro Logic shouldn't be a factor. Pro Logic II would only kick in if the incoming audio had fewer discrete channels than 5.1. I can only suggest that the receiver and player were already correctly configured and that what you were playing wasn't encoded with a discrete audio format such as Dolby Digital?

reddot556

Standard Member
not sure what a "discrete audio format" is..all i know is i've played blu ray disc's before and my reciever display said "multichan in" and when i did the adjustments it said "dolby digital" and looking at the back of the DVD case it says it was recorded in "Dolby Digital" i have yet to put in a disc that says..Dolby TrueHD Dolby Digital Plus,DTS,DTS-HD /
DTS Express..i'll have to rent one i guess

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom