Denon AVR-1604

Rohirrim

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping to buy my first home cinema kit over the next few days and am looking to bid for a Denon AVR-1604 receiver to go with Mordaunt Short Premier speakers. If anyone has this receiver now or in the past I would like to know whether it is a good one for starters.

Cheers,

Phil.

I bought the AVR1602 for £200 ex-dem about 15 months ago. I was happy with it as a starter but it did not have pre-outs which I later discovered I needed to connect a stereo amp as AVamps are not as good as I wanted for CD/music replay. I sold it on to a friend and it suits the needs of their teenage family just fine. I bought a s/h AVR2802 about 12 months ago for £300 and have been very pleased with the step up. Both have PL2.

I would recommend buying a s/h AVR2802 (2803) or AVR1802 (but not 1803) over a new 1604.

Ah, thanks for that, I would be using the receiver for cd's also so I will have to look into your recommendations.

Cheers,

Phil.

if music matters as much as AV, and maybe more, then an entry AVamp will (probably) not make you completely happy on the CD/music - that said, you've got to start somewhere. And going 5.1 AV does mean a lot of spending on AVamp, telly and speakers. So dont be put off. the AVamp you buy may be the best amp you've had to date - and all is relative.

if you search on 'stereo' in this or HiFi section you will see the argument.

essentially, the idea some of us have implemented is to have an AV system and a HiFi system that is linked. Thus

1) the DVDplayer is fed into the AVamp; the CDplayer is fed directly into a stereo amp which feeds the main L/R speakers

2) in order that the main (stereo music) L/R speakers can also be used as part of your 5.1 AV speaker set up when DVD/TV is used, the L/R front pre-outs are connected into the stereo amp.

This may seem overly complicated at this point, unless you have the cash to splash out on a stereo amp. I was given similar advice & squared the circle by buying s/h AVamp (£300) and s/h stereo amp (£300), and I'm happy. S/H prices for the AVR2802 have fallen, so you could get a bargain at about £200. The AudioLab 8000S has held its price, but you should be able to buy something reasonable, though old, s/h for £250.

Where have you seen the 2802 for £200?! I havent seen it any cheaper than about £350. I was thinking of getting the 1604 over the db790, but am sort of reconsidering now.

now I've an interest in keeping the s/h price of the 2802 fairly high, but must confess I saw one go for £250 s/h, and I feared the worst ...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom