1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR-1603 - Optical problem...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phelsuma, Oct 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Phelsuma

Phelsuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm from Norway, and new here.

I'm trying to connect a DAT-player with only XLR and Optical OUT to my Amplifier.
    I have a Denon AVR-1603.

I've connected it to the amp via the optical IN, and am getting the sound I want.
    BUT - I'm trying to connect from The Tape/CDR RCA Out via phono to my PC's soundcard.

I can get other sources to play perfectly on my pc.
    Both my cdplayer and my tv goes via the Tape/CDR Out to my soundcard. Both are connected via RCA:
    When I switch back to the DAT as source (via optical) there is no sound to my pc, but still sound on the speakers connected to my amp...

Does anyone have any input on how I can work around this?

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    The Denon amps do not internally convert digital signals to analogue for switching purposes - for the same reason as you can't send a digital-only source to Zone 2 or Zone 3 on a 3805, you can't send a digital-only source to the tape outputs, as you are trying to do.

The only workaround is to run an analogue lead from your DAT recorder to a pair of analogue inputs on the amp. I'm not sure if converting from XLR to phono is as simple as a cable with XLRs on one end and phonos on the other, or if you need some electronics in the way as well, but it should certainly be possible to rig something up.

3. Phelsuma

Phelsuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for ending my headache ;)
    I have to go out getting some stuff then, to go from XLR via mono RCA to a stereo minijack. That way I can go directly to my soundcard.
    The reason I wanted to go via the amp was to see if I could do it without buying more stuff I'll only use this once ;)

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    The only thing you can try is to use a phono-phono lead from the front preamp output sockets on the amp into an unused line input on the amp. You can then set the tape output to use this input. This will obviously only work if your amp has preamp outputs - I don't know if that model does. You also need to be aware that setting the amp's input to the input you have shorted to the preout will introduce a feedback loop which may blow your speakers, and you will also almost certainly need to cut the ground connection in the cable you use to loop back from the preamp out so as to avoid some very nasty ground hum.

All this is possible, and should work, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. However, it will probably be cheaper than a bunch of custom XLR cables if you really only need to do this a couple of times...

5. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The other option is an XLR to Phono lead into the L/R inputs that you have assigned the optical out on the DAT tape to. When listening to the DAT tape it iwll use the optical connection, but use the XLR to Phono for the recording.