Denon AVR-1403/1603

B

Blaz

Hi!

Any of you guys heard these receivers play? I bought the AVR-1403. I've seen some good reviews on the 1602 model and it seems like the AVR-xx03 models have improved. Any of you got any experiences with the AVR-1403? The reason I ask is that I'm still waiting for my speakers to arrive (B&W DM601s and ASW300) so I haven't really had chance to test it. I got a Denon DVD-900

Thnx in advance

I don't think it's personal. :) The 1403 is BRAND SPANKING NEW & I doubt anyone has heard one yet. It's a new model (14xx) for Denon, so there isn't anything older from the Denon stable to compare it with. Going on past experience of this sector it may just be a cut-down/modified version of the old 1602, but without seeing the specs, I can only guess. :(

I have also never heard of the 1403 until now

Found this if it is of help

AVR-1603
Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS A/V Receiver • Dolby Pro Logic II, with Cinema and Music Modes • Dolby Digital and DTS decoding • 32 bit Analog Devices DSP processor • 5 equal power amplifier channels • 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms, <.08%THD, 20Hz - 20 kHz • 110-watts per channel into 6 ohms, 1kHz, <.7%THD • Discrete power amplifier stage • 5 Channel Stereo • Personal Memory Plus • Virtual Surround (for use with 2 speakers) • 24 bit, 96 kHz DACs • 24 bit, 96 kHz digital interface receiver • 24 bit, 96 kHz stereo PCM digital playback • Speaker A/B (front) selector • Front Panel A/V inputs, including Optical Digital with cover • 6 Channel External Input (for DVD-Audio) with wideband (100 kHz) frequency response • Addressable digital inputs, 2 optical, 1 coaxial • One Optical digital output for recording • Component, "S" & composite video switching • Banana plug compatible speaker terminals all channels • Subwoofer Pre-amp output • All new Pre-programmed remote control features TV, VCR, DVD codes from other manufacturers • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.8"h x 16.4"d • SRP $399

AVR-1403
Dolby Digital Pro Logic II/dts A/V Receiver • Dolby Pro Logic II, with Cinema and Music Modes • Dolby Digital and DTS decoding • 24 bit DSP processor • 5 equal power amplifier channels • 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms, <.08%THD, 20Hz - 20 kHz • 100-watts per channel into 6 ohms, 1kHz, <.7%THD • Discrete power amplifier stage • 5 Channel Stereo • Personal Memory Plus • Virtual Surround (for use with 2 speakers) • Cinema EQ • 24 bit, 96 kHz DACs • 24 bit, 96 kHz digital interface receiver • 24 bit, 96 kHz stereo PCM digital playback • Speaker A/B (front) selector • Front Panel A/V inputs with cover • 6 Channel External Input (for DVD-Audio) with wideband (100 kHz) frequency response • Addressable digital inputs, 1 optical, 1 coaxial • Composite video switching • Banana plug compatible speaker terminals Front, Center Channels • Subwoofer Pre-amp output • Preprogrammed remote control features TV, VCR, DVD codes from other manufacturers • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 5.8"h x 16.4"d • SRP $299

This is from the USA site and there is no mention on the UK site of the 1403

Humm Jase

You will have to be quicker than that :)

Originally posted by petrolhead
Humm Jase

You will have to be quicker than that :)

:D Just waiting for Broadband to appear then I´ll be speedier!;)

Thnx!

But since I got the AVR-1403, I know the specs on it, but like I said I don't have my speakers yet cause the B&W spearkers are not in stock (DM601s & ASW300. That's why I can't hear or compare it with my last receiver (from Sony). Are the specs. fine? I'm not really into all this "Prologic II, DTS, THX...etc" features.. But doesn't it look OK on paper? I bought this one cause I want a good but not to expensive receiver. I'm saving up for an Arcam/Denon (AVR 5xxx) ;)

Thnx in advance!

On paper it looks ok, proof will be in the listening. You´ll have to make your own mind up about that. Although if its only a stop-gap until you get something better then it´s not so important.

Originally posted by Blaz
[B I'm not really into all this "Prologic II, DTS, THX...etc" features.. [/B]

You seem to be the opposite of nearly everyone here when it comes to AV receivers. Those features are EXACTLY what we are all looking for in an amp for DVD's (as well as sound quality of course). If you are less interested in PLII, DTS, etc, then perhaps you should be using a 2 channel stereo amp or have stuck with the Sony.

Have I missed your point? :blush:

Originally posted by Nobber22
You seem to be the opposite of nearly everyone here when it comes to AV receivers. Those features are EXACTLY what we are all looking for in an amp for DVD's (as well as sound quality of course). If you are less interested in PLII, DTS, etc, then perhaps you should be using a 2 channel stereo amp or have stuck with the Sony.

Have I missed your point? :blush:

Hi!

I think you missed the point, but that's my bad, I didn't explain it well. Of course it's a plus that a receiver has DTS, Prologic etc.. What I meant was, that I'm not really into the technical parts of DTS and all those features.. So I was just wondering if the specs on the AVR-1403 was OK for a budget player. I know that most of you on this board probably have DVD players and Amplifiers/Receivers that costs 1000$+, but I'm kind of new to this DVD/Receiver thing...I've only owned stereo systems not sourround systems, so this is basically my first.

One more question. It might be stupid but give me a break :D

Are 2 channel stereo Amps. better than AV receivers when we are talking about 2 channel stereo quality? or do the AV receivers deliver as good audio quality compared with normal 2 channel stereo amps (mid-price range, not 1000$ amps)

One more question. It might be stupid but.......
Are 2 channel stereo Amps. better than AV receivers when we are talking about 2 channel stereo quality? or do the AV receivers deliver as good audio quality compared with normal 2 channel stereo amps (mid-price range, not 1000$ amps)

Not a stupid question at all! Actually it's one of the biggest bugbears of AV amps (at any price). All IMO sound worse than stereo amps at the same price. You often have to go into several thousands of pounds AV amp territory to match a good £500 2 channel amp.

AV amp have loads of (unneccessary?) extra circuits/features which degrade the signal. Troll this section of the forums over the last few months to see just how many people are trying to add stereo amps to their av systems to get back their CD listening pleasure!! :eek:

Not a stupid question at all! Actually it's one of the biggest bugbears of AV amps (at any price). All IMO sound worse than stereo amps at the same price. You often have to go into several thousands of pounds AV amp territory to match a good £500 2 channel amp.

AV amp have loads of (unneccessary?) extra circuits/features which degrade the signal. Troll this section of the forums over the last few months to see just how many people are trying to add stereo amps to their av systems to get back their CD listening pleasure!! :eek:

Hi!

Thnx for your response!

Wow. You make it sound like AV Receivers delivers poor 2 channel sound quality. I don't watch that many movies but it happens time to time. My Sony receiver is not in good condition so that's why I bought the AVR-1403. I have to say that I don't want chrystal clear sound or better. If I wanted that I would at least have bought the Denon 3803. I just want to listen to music and watch a couple of movies with good sound and image quality without spendin 1000$... I use my DVD-900 as a cd-player so that may just indicate that I'm not the biggest fan of sound or image quality, so I don't want to spend 1000$ on dvd players and receivers, it's not that important to me. I have a impression that most of the users here are aiming at high end equipment. I'm just a regular user. I want quality without spending to much money. So the deal was that I went to my local HiFi store and said that I wanted a budget but good dvd/Av receiver combo and he said that the DVD-900 and the AVR-1403/1603 would be a good pick...Looks like my purchase was useless afterall :(

the DVD-900 and the AVR-1403/1603 would be a good pick...Looks like my purchase was useless after all :(

No, no absolutely not! They are a very nice little combintion which are certain to give you years of listening pleasure. Unfortunately many of us on this site are fussy little buggers who want to pay as little as possible for the best possible return - hence our constant need to tweak, fiddle (our av equipment :rolleyes: ) or lose sleep over upgrading to the "next best thing".

If you can avoid these crazy urges, then you are a better man than the rest of us.:D

P.S. The vast majority of users on this site own budget kit just like yours and love using it everyday.

If it is any help I am happy with my DVD and 3802 combination for 2 channel music. But then I spend most of my time watching movies and not so bothered about music

You make it sound like AV Receivers delivers poor 2 channel sound quality.

On the whole, budget AV receivers do not reproduce stereo music from CD's well, especially when a DVD player is used instead of a CD player.

In my opinion, AV receivers are aimed at the same market segment as mini and midi stereo systems where the features count is more important than the reproduction of music. Look at the amount of threads started in this forum from people who want advice on an AV receiver.

Must have DD, DTS, PL2, Circle, Neo Nazi (or whatever it's called)
Definately needs video switching for composite, s-video and component plus at least 20 crappy DSP modes, 7.1 and auxiliary inputs for anything that may be invented in the next 20 years and I am willing to pay up to £100.

You seem to be the opposite of nearly everyone here when it comes to AV receivers. Those features are EXACTLY what we are all looking for in an amp for DVD's (as well as sound quality of course). If you are less interested in PLII, DTS, etc, then perhaps you should be using a 2 channel stereo amp .

There are a few of us that are willing to forgo the pleasures of PL2 and centre rears and have "traded down" to a Denon AVC10SE that doesn't offer these facilities but just decodes and amplifies DD & DTS brilliantly as well as offering a superb 2 channel performance.

Ian, with my year or so on the forum, that's the nicest thing I've ever seen you write!

You've made a man's amp very happy, or was it a happy man's amp very old?
cheers,
Rob.

Originally posted by Rob.Screene
Ian, with my year or so on the forum, that's the nicest thing I've ever seen you write!

Hey Rob, take that back. I don't do nice :D

Don't kid yourself, your kit isnt bad atall ... it will sound reasonable ...a whole lot better than the mini/midi systems most people who truely don't care about sound and picture qulity would of bought. You have a decent system to start you on the adicitive pursuit of audio visual excellence ;) hehe

And I would think you will find that most people here arnt using $1000usd receivers ... more like $600-$700 if you were to read around or ask. :) some people will be using much cheaper stuff and others much more expensive stuff, really high end home cinema is going to set you back a lot ore than $1000 ... more like $15-20000 when you add in the plasma screen.

Originally posted by Nutty
And I would think you will find that most people here arnt using $1000usd receivers ... more like $600-$700 if you were to read around or ask. :)

Nutty,

This forum is based in UK and most of us buy our equipment here priced in £ and not $.

Just as a guide, I spent under £1000 on my whole widescreen TV, speakers, amp, DVD player and cables!!

All purchased this summer over August.

*Philips 24PW6006 24" widescreen TV - £330
*Denon 1802 AV amp - £280
*Toshiba 420 DVD player - £200
*Mission 701 front speakers with stands - £55 (2nd hand)
*Wharfedale centre found on eBay dirt cheap (but new) - £30
*Philex Thor scart - £30
*Coaxial digital cable - £2.50
*32m of Gale speaker cable - £25

The £1000 includes my upgrading my Sony mini-system speakers to some (2nd hand) Mission 771e's (which outperforms my AV setup) for £80, the supplied speakers being used as my rears.

All other connections are made using the supplied:)eek:) cables.

This setup performs admirably for a price my bank account didn't scream at too much. I think the most important point is that you enjoy building/using your system - my hotchpotch took me months to find at the right price but does all I want from it very well.

Your 1403 may well do the same for you if all you want is a way to watch films and play CDs, particularly as a stopgap solution.

There are a few of us that are willing to forgo the pleasures of PL2 and centre rears and have "traded down" to a Denon AVC10SE that doesn't offer these facilities but just decodes and amplifies DD & DTS brilliantly as well as offering a superb 2 channel performance.

Count me in as one of those people! Went from a Denon 3801, and lost DTS-ES discrete and DTS Neo, but the leap in quality was HUGE, especially for stereo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom