1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVF100 no sound on surround modes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ciqala, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has been happening for a while now, when i put a dvd on that has dolby digital 5.1 or dts and select the corresponding audio track all i can hear through my speakers is the background noises, i dont get any of the speech.

as soon as i set it to virtual surround or stereo i get everything.

connection between the dvd and the av/receiver parts of the denon are handled by a digital component style cable (not sure of the correct term... maybe coax?)

anyone have any suggestions what i could look at to get the surround working, i'm about to invest in a PJ and would like to be able to use the denon for a bit longer until i can afford to upgrade it to some decent seperates. but the stereo sound isnt as enjoyable as the surround used to be.

note on normal audio 5ch stereo plays properly through all speakers so its not the centre has blown or anything.

any help/direction would be very much appreciated, ta :smashin:

edit: i should note that on the av/receiver part it does light up to show that the signal is carrying dts/dolby digital signals so i assume its a setting on the av/receiver at fault.

2. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Have you tried changing the input which is done by pressing the two middle buttons of the four on the dvd palyer used for track search and skip. This will change from Norm to Digi and you need the Digi or DTS ones to play respective Digital surround. I find my folks F100 a pain to change surround modes due to this.

3. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mattykhz

thanks for the tip, i shall give it a try and report back with how i get on.

cheers

4. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Please note DVD must be stopped when doing this as doesn't work with dvd playing. SO if has been playing think you have to press stop twice as stop once is more like a pause and will resume playing from where you stopped the disk. Stopping twice will allow you to press the two middle buttons on dvd player (quite fiddly) until you have changed input and then when you press play digital source lock should occur on amp and allow you to change surround mode.

5. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i tried it with rush hour 2 last night as its one of the few dts discs i have and i got it working with both dolby5.1 and dts however i think it may be intermittent as to when it happens so i'll go through most of my collection and see if its fixed.

thanks again for the info though matty :)

6. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hope it helped. Think you have to go into the set up menu to change the input so that it stays on the one you mostly need. Otherwise you have to set the input everytime it is switche don manually. Gets to be a pain. For some reason my folks always uses optical so have to change the set up to source via coaxial.

7. Ciqala

Ciqala

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    meh i thought this was ok as i'd managed to get rush hour 2 working fine on dts and dolby digital.

however i tried to watch white chicks on dvd the other night and no matter what i tried i couldnt get the surround modes to work properly.

i think whats happening is i'm not getting the center channel. on white chicks i got the surround effects coming through (background chatter etc) but the actual movie dialogue didnt come through on the center speaker.

its not the speaker though as i put it on 5ch stereo and i get sound through it just fine. and i can get the sound on some films so i'm at a loss.

i'm close to buying a denon 1905 to replace it but i'd like to try and get it fixed for the interim. anyone else able to shed some light on possible causes?

8. sleepyboy

sleepyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MattyKHZ - My niece said there was no sound when she wanted to watch a DVD while she was looking after the house.
    The next time we wanted to watch one - the same story - I tried all the anolog outputs but nothing. I even tried to use the two buttons but a DVD was still playing.
    After following you instructions we are back in business - shame its too late to watch the DVD now! :clap: