Denon AVCX6500H amp will not output to the projector unless the TV is also on.

bert2

Established Member
Reaction score
My Denon AVC-X6500H amp has individual outputs connected to Projector Epson EHTW730 and TV LG OLED65B8PLA but the projector does not receive an image, or just a flashing one as it tries to get it, unless the TV is on. Then both have the image and TV can be switched off. Also, if a different input is later selected the projector looses the image until the TV is again switched on. This was not a problem with my previous Yamaha amp. The supplier, Richer Sounds and the maker have not been able to cure this but RS offered to change the amp for a different make but I like the Denon and put up with the problem. If anyone has experience with this I would be happy to discuss.

Get remote plugs and only have one display device powered on at once. Should solve the issue

My Denon AVC-X6500H amp has individual outputs connected to Projector Epson EHTW730 and TV LG OLED65B8PLA but the projector does not receive an image, or just a flashing one as it tries to get it, unless the TV is on. Then both have the image and TV can be switched off. Also, if a different input is later selected the projector looses the image until the TV is again switched on. This was not a problem with my previous Yamaha amp. The supplier, Richer Sounds and the maker have not been able to cure this but RS offered to change the amp for a different make but I like the Denon and put up with the problem. If anyone has experience with this I would be happy to discuss.
It’s a Denon thing, my harmony remote is setup to select HDMI 2 out when using my projector.
Sounds like yours is set to Auto and won’t lock on to your projector
Mine does the same on Auto

Timh is correct - you need to specify Monitor 2 when watching on the projector (and vice versa for TV with Monitor 1). If you have a Harmony remote you can include this in an activity, if not use the Quick Select feature (Quick select plus function AVR-X6500H)

It’s not so much a Denon thing, more to do with differences between the capabilities of the two displays……

It’s not so much a Denon thing, more to do with differences between the capabilities of the two displays……
that is what it is ... combined with likely have CEC left switched on sources, to AVR to display. the other thing is cable - are you using an active cable (fibre) on any of devices ? will mean these are always on.. always poling.

I ran a 4k uhd projector with 1080p plasma for some years... no issue. just made sure as per above specific hdmi is selected. and CEC is switched off and use passive hdmi cables. if you dont you will get one or other not working or lowest common denominator. now i have a 4k uhd TV and projector and still use the hdmi 1 and 2 being discretely selected and still with hdmi dec switched off and passive hdmi cable (non active). if you want to use active cables make sure to physically switch display off not using (eg with the IR or remote switchable power socket for each display) as suggested above.

note the denon and marantz are good in that they let you discretely select hdmi outs... some AVR/av processor brands jsut do a simple split out for mon 1 and 2 ... in which case you are kind of stuffed :D as then will indeed have no choice but the remote switchable power socket being needed...

Hi @bert2 , how did you solve this problem please? I have the same issue.
You could try manually selecting HDMI out 2 if that’s the output to your projector.
Auto doesn’t always work.

I was wrong to say the problem was solved but it works for 3 of my inputs. When I go to OUTPUT settings and change from AUTO to MONITOR2, the projector, I get a flickering projector picture on my other 2 inputs. So I have had to return to AUTO and selecting the input I want to watch using the TV and only switch the TV off when the program is running. I have no idea what 'CEC' is or what 'passive HDMI cables' are and can find no 'Quick Select' buttons on my remote.

I was wrong to say the problem was solved but it works for 3 of my inputs. When I go to OUTPUT settings and change from AUTO to MONITOR2, the projector, I get a flickering projector picture on my other 2 inputs. So I have had to return to AUTO and selecting the input I want to watch using the TV and only switch the TV off when the program is running. I have no idea what 'CEC' is or what 'passive HDMI cables' are and can find no 'Quick Select' buttons on my remote.

Quick Select buttons (1 to 4) are just above the Volume buttons:-

And how they work. Best have a read before you press one of them.

I’m sure you can also use the Denon remote app to select HDMI out manually.
When I had mine I programmed my harmony remote to select the the correct outputs.

Quick Select buttons (1 to 4) are just above the Volume buttons:-

And how they work. Best have a read before you press one of them.

Thank you. I was looking at the wrong remote but I can't understand the procedures shown in the manual. I would want to have the ability to switch to an alternative output to the one associated with the input. There does not seem to be an output switch button on the remote, which would have been usefull to allow at least my three inputs that dont flicker when used with projector to be used

When I had mine I programmed my harmony remote to select the the correct outputs.
I don't use an app. I use the remote which does not have an output switch button unless you know different.

Thank you. I was looking at the wrong remote but I can't understand the procedures shown in the manual. I would want to have the ability to switch to an alternative output to the one associated with the input. There does not seem to be an output switch button on the remote, which would have been usefull to allow at least my three inputs that dont flicker when used with projector to be used

You'd save one set of settings with Monitor 1 as the output to Quick Select 1 and then the same settings but with Monitor 2 as the output to Quick Select 2.

It covers how to do that here:-

You can also rename them so you know which one is for your PJ and which is one is your TV.

Sorry. I do not see how to do this. I do not understand the instructions. I can't alter the quick select buttons.

Sorry. I do not see how to do this. I do not understand the instructions. I can't alter the quick select buttons.

First thing is to set the HDMI Video Output to Monitor 1. Go into the main menu to Video - Output Settings - HDMI Video Output - and select Monitor 1.

You then press and hold down the Quick Select 1 button on the remote until “Quick 1 Memory” appears on the front display of the Denon.

You'd then go back into the main setup menu to Video - Output Settings - HDMI Video Output and change that to Monitor 2.

You then press and hold down Quick Select button 2 on the remote until it says "Quick 2 Memory" on the display.

You'll now have Monitor 1 output stored to Quick Select 1 and Monitor 2 output stored to Quick Select 2.

If you want you could also set up Auto (Dual) Monitor Output on Quick Select 3 by doing the same procedure. You can then just quickly select whichever output you want.

You can also rename them by going into the main menu - General - Quick Select Names.

Hi Timh, please could you talk me through exactly how you did this with your Harmony?

First thing is to set the HDMI Video Output to Monitor 1. Go into the main menu to Video - Output Settings - HDMI Video Output - and select Monitor 1.

You then press and hold down the Quick Select 1 button on the remote until “Quick 1 Memory” appears on the front display of the Denon.

You'd then go back into the main setup menu to Video - Output Settings - HDMI Video Output and change that to Monitor 2.

You then press and hold down Quick Select button 2 on the remote until it says "Quick 2 Memory" on the display.

You'll now have Monitor 1 output stored to Quick Select 1 and Monitor 2 output stored to Quick Select 2.

If you want you could also set up Auto (Dual) Monitor Output on Quick Select 3 by doing the same procedure. You can then just quickly select whichever output you want.

You can also rename them by going into the main menu - General - Quick Select Names.

Assume this would be the same procedure for the AVR-X4200W?

Hi Timh, please could you talk me through exactly how you did this with your Harmony?
Go to Harmony setup>Add/Edit Devices & Activities
Select the activity you want to edit, for example watch Blu-ray on Projector>Edit start sequence>Scroll to the bottom and add step>Select Amp>Add HDMI out 2>Save it.
I also add a similar step to End sequence that changes the HDIM out o HDMI out 1 then it’s ready to watch on the TV,

Go to Harmony setup>Add/Edit Devices & Activities
Select the activity you want to edit, for example watch Blu-ray on Projector>Edit start sequence>Scroll to the bottom and add step>Select Amp>Add HDMI out 2>Save it.
I also add a similar step to End sequence that changes the HDIM out o HDMI out 1 then it’s ready to watch on the TV,

Thanks, is this on the actual remote you mean or on the Harmony software on a laptop / PC?

I use the Harmony app on my iPad

I didn't think of the app, I always use the software on my laptop. However, I no longer have a persona laptop and only a worktop so now can't install the software as my IT department need to approve it.

Just downloaded the app and it looks like you can only use that if you have the Harmony Hub? I only have the remote.

Hi @Timh , is this correct?

1658478533921.png

Finally thought I had this sorted, but then yesterday encountered a similar problem with my Firestick.

I used my activity on my Harmony to "Watch Firestick (Projector)" and everything turned on, except the Firestick. I then had to use the Power toggle on my Harmony to turn the Firestick on and that worked.

Turned everything off using the "Off" button on the Harmony. Then later when I wanted to watch the Firestick on my TV, I usually just press the standby button on my Firestick remote. Did this but only my TV and Amp turned on!

Tried the Power toggle on the Harmony but even though this turned the Firestick on when the projector was in use, it would not work for the TV.

Turned everything off, tried "Watch Firestick (Projector)" again and everything worked fine. So frustrating!

Any ideas how to fix this? I don't currently have an activity on my Firestick to Watch Firestick TV which I could probably do as a work around, but the Firestick remote should work for turning on the Firestick, TV and Amp. That's how it used to work with my old HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom