Denon AVCA1XVA AV Amp & PMC FB1'S Any Good with a Music Fidelity A1 FBP

Sicoe

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I currently have a Denon AVCA1XVA Home Cinema Amp and i am using PMC FB1 Front Speakers.

I am perfectly happy with the movie sound but feel i need a little more from my stereo music.

My question is would adding a Music Fidelity A1 FBP Pre Amp be a good option for my stereo sound instead of the denon and would i notice a difference in Quality.

Im assuming i can use the pre outs in the Denon to connect to the Music Fidelity and then this with take over the music side????

Thanks

Unfortunately unless your speakers are active, from your system list you do not have a separate power amp so therefore you would need to add a separate power amp to your system to utilise the mf pre amp.

Reason being is yes you can go from pre outs to mf ht bypass sockets but you can not pass the mf pre amp back to the amp section of your denon receiver.

I hope that makes sense.

Unless of course you do have a power amp that you have not listed in your equipment list.

Hi There

thanks for the reply

i dont unfortunatley i was just hoping the denon would do this as its a 10 channel amp???

Having a look at your rather lovely amp, I note it has two sets of ext in.

Now if any of those are fully by passing the internal processing of the receiver, ie not subject to the volume control, then you can potentially gain an improvement, if indeed the mf is an improvement over the denon in the first place.

Else if they are not fully by passing the receiver then you will be subjecting your source path to two sets of volume control and processing. And IMO, will not be an improvement in sound.

So yes you can connect the LR pre out into the mfs ht bypass sockets and then from the mf back to an LR ext in on the denon, but would only do this is the denon can fully bypass it's on processing.

The AVC-A1XVA has no means of bypassing its preamp; neither of the mulitchannel inputs can be used for this purpose. djnickm's speculation is unfortunately just that. To achieve a performance improvement, should the Denon's stereo direct mode in fact be the weak point, you will need to use a separate integrated stereo amp and a speaker source selection switch.

Hi Mark

many thanks for this, this is the route i will go down now

so first of all any recommendations of amps that will pair the pmc fb1's well, i would rather buy used to get more for my money, max upto 500 pounds.

This switch you are talking about, any more info on this and where i can get one.

many thanks for your time

Regards Simon

Automatic switch: Sonance AS2. Russound, Niles and Speakercraft are other manufacturers.

Mechanical switch: Beresford TC-7220. There are others, but the Beresford is well-liked in this forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom