Denon AVC3800 with Castle Avon Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dstu, Jan 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dstu

dstu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I purchased Casle Avon front speakers for my AVC3800 Denon amplifier, but I'm not sure if it's the right choice and how to connect them.

the speakers have 2 outputs: Treble and Bass.

The amplifier has Bi-wiring A and B.

Questions:
    1. Do these things match?
    2. If yes, which one goes where?
    3. Is it recommended to use this configuration?

Thanks,

David

2. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi David, and welcome to AVForums.

I'm not familiar with this amp or speakers, but let's start with som basics:

How many binding posts (terminals) are on the rear of the speakers - 2 (one black, one red) indicates the speakers are not bi-wirable, 4 (2 red, 2 black, connected by a metal plate) indicated they are.

Now the amp, (I think this is it http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/3454/avc3800back4yz.jpg - let me know if it isn't!) has dedicated bi-wiring terminals.

I think the correct connnections are (per channnel), one set (red/balck) to the upper (tweeter) on the speaker and the other to the lower (woofer) - I don't think it matters which way round as the full signal is sent to both and then handled by the crossover circuitry.

You should remove the metal connecting plate that links the terminals on the rear of the speaker.

You should check the manual as to how to set the amp, A/B usually refers a second set of speakers so these terminals may serve a dual purpose.

Chris

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. dstu

dstu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

Thank you for our email. I have so much to say:
    1. Initially (this morning), I didn't have the metal plates between the pairs behind the speakers, but after posting the question here, I also called the shop and the guy there told me that he had these plates and I went and picked them up.
    2. The picture you sent is exactly the amplifier I'm using. As you can see on the top right, I have 2 pairs (black+red) for each front speaker.
    3. Right now, I connected the plates behind the speakers and only one pair of cables from the speakers to A input of the amplifier, while B is empty.

If I understand you correctly, I should remove the plates, connect the other speakers' output to the B input of the amplifier and that's it. Right? It's better, no? Also, when we connect these plates, doesn't it lower the impedance of the speakers to 4ohm instead of 8ohm (I remember vaguely my electronics lessons from 20 years ago)?

Thanks,

David

4. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Hi David

Metal plates - on for single cable connection, off for bi-wiring (I don't think it does any damage leaving them on, just defeats the object as you are effectively joing the cables again). Bi-amping, for anyone reading, plates must be removed.

" I should remove the plates, connect the other speakers' output to the B input of the amplifier and that's it." - Techically it's the speakers input, but yes, leave the normal amp A terminals connected as you have them, and run a second second cable from amp B terminals to the second set of input terminals on the speakers. And remove the plate.

"It's better, no?" - Probably won't be able to tell this difference. There are a lot of threads debating this, but any improvement, if at all, is marginal. There are a lot of other factors (speaker position, room accoustics, furnishings) that will have a much greater effect on the sound.

"Also, when we connect these plates, doesn't it lower the impedance of the speakers to 4ohm instead of 8ohm (I remember vaguely my electronics lessons from 20 years ago)?" - No, impedance is the same whether the plate is in place or not, the speaker and associated crossover are unchanged, you just changing the way the signal gets there. If you add an additional speaker of the same impedance then, as you correctly rememeber, you would halve the impedance.

Chris

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009