Denon AVC3700h set-up issue

Marky1973

I have spent the last two days rewiring my cinema room to get ready for the Denon AVC-3700h. I connected everything up this morning and switched on. The set-up process started and the system checked the speakers and all were working as expected.

I then went on to running audessey and the first thing it tested was the subwoofer. It said the subwoofer was too low (I set to 50% volume as suggested) and it asked if I wanted use something like "SW Matching Levels" - so I clicked yes to try again and my surround left made a loud crack and the Amp went off.

The power light is now flashing every 1/2 second which I believe suggests the protection circuit is in play. I have no ideea why this happened and have checked all the speaker terminals and they are all fine, no crossed wires or anything like that.

I tried to poer the amp back on and it starts up says AV receiver, recognises my panny BD player and then the light comes off and the amp dies.

I have tried the factory reset to intialise as per the instructions and this doesn't change anything.

I have disconnected all the speakers from the back of the receiver and that doesn't make a difference.

I have now unplugged everything and am leaving it for a while to see if anything changes - I am not hopeful.

Does anyone have any other thoughts, or am I going to have to send it in for repair?

dobrykamil

I'm afraid, one the channels must have been blown, and now amp goes into DC protection.

Capture.JPG

Marky1973

What can cause that then as the amp had tested the speakers and they all accepted the test tone. I'm worried it won't be fixed under warranty if it is something that happens because of user error. I know it was all connected correctly..... Could it just be 'one of those things?'

gibbsy

It's not your fault if the amp has blown, it does sound terminal. If you have had the amp for less than 30 days from the date your took delivery then return it and request a new unit or a full refund. Do not allow any repairs to be carried out. If you have had the unit for more than 30 days then you must allow for a warranty repair.

Remember that 30 days starts from the day you took delivery not from the date or ordering. Because of Covid e-mail and telephone the dealer as soon as possible. Most dealers will be happy to replace a faulty unit within the 30 days.

Marky1973

Cheers Gibbsy... Is that something that could be caused by a speaker wiring issue? I replaced all my wiring and am very anal when it comes to stuff like that so made sure there were no stray wires etc. Just hope the speaker is okay.

I bought from a reputable, respected company so hoping I can get it sorted.

Cheers Gibbsy... Is that something that could be caused by a speaker wiring issue? I replaced all my wiring and am very anal when it comes to stuff like that so made sure there were no stray wires etc. Just hope the speaker is okay.

I bought from a reputable, respected company so hoping I can get it sorted.
As per Gibbsy, it sounds pretty terminal, impossible to speculate why. If it's within 30 days then insist on a replacement not a repair (apart from anything else it will be much quicker). If it's outside that, but say <3 months from delivery, If it was me I would still be agitating strongly for a replacement on customer service grounds - because I'm a bit of git like that. Legally the retailer can insist on a repair, but if you take it up to CEO level you can often get more than you would at shop floor level.

Marky1973

Thanks Captain! It was delivered in Thursday, so I'm hoping a replacement will be possible.

Thanks Captain! It was delivered in Thursday, so I'm hoping a replacement will be possible.
More than possible, it's nailed on. Don't take any nonsense about repair.

Marky1973

Well, fair play, they are sorting a replacement without any issue, so that is good....just still really confused by what happened - perhaps I just need to put it down to experience!

Well, fair play, they are sorting a replacement without any issue, so that is good....just still really confused by what happened - perhaps I just need to put it down to experience!
Good news, and as it should be. But yes, If you were to experience the same fault with the replacement unit, then it could be a bit awkward. I'm sure it was just a dodgy unit ,but when setting this one up try setting the sub level to 9 o'clock rather than 12 just to be on the cautious side.

Also if you are really paranoid, you could consider using the Audyssey Multi EQ app instead - it does cost 20 quid, but gives you more tweakability options.

Marky1973

yeah, I won't be clicking the SW level thingy this time around - just weird that it asked that question and the "crack" sounded as if it was coming from the SBL speaker....will check all the connections again when I add the new one, but I have never had a problem like that before - the odd speaker out of phase perhaps - really hope it doesn't happen again!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom