1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Avc1sr

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by patmyhead, Jun 15, 2002.

Tags:
  1. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    Just got the new 1sr realy realy HEAVY
    Half way in setting it up
    First impreshions NO banana imputs on speaker conections very fidly to connect thick cables
    sound is better than good fills the room useing 9 speakers much improved over my YAM
    Bonus feature is that it up converts S video & composite to component output pictures on my sony 11ht is much better SKY in particular is improved saved me the cost of a new Keene scart lead
    any one know if the progressive scan output from a dvd player passes through the component input & back out again still as progressive scan or does it end up as just component

well now back to playing
    P@:)

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Hi,
    Denon amps all have banana capable speaker terminals, they're just covered by plastic bungs which can be easily removed with a small screwdriver or 1 half of a pair of small plyers.
    I very much doubt that the A1SR would be any different.

I have the A1SE (just about have the upgrade done), and have run a progressive component input through it without problems.
    I think the A1SR has improved video circuitry and improved bandwidth over the A1SE, so I don't think you'll have any problems here.

I've never regretted my purchase. These amps are brilliant.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Jules

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I've had my A1-SR for a few weeks now and I can confirm that like other Denon amps it does take banana plugs, the small plastic inserts just have to be carefully removed as described above.

As regards progressive scan, don't get the signal type confused with the connection type.

Component is the connection type and it will pass both interlaced and progressive signals, whatever you feed in will be what comes out.

I feed the progressive output of my Arcan DV27 via component and the interlaced S-Video from my Sky+ box to the amp. Both signals are output via component to the plasma screen and of course both remain as either progressive or interlaced till they reach the plasma.

The amp is only performing video signal standard conversion (composite and s-video to component), not video processing.

Mark

4. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the post earlier was mostly correct

but

the a1sr does have a better bandwith, ie:100mhz throughput. which in essence means it will pass thorugh progressive video signals without any video degradation

i can say the above as i used to the a11sr and had it upgraded to the a1sr and there is A NOTICABLE difference in picture quality

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Just for the sake of avoiding any confusion; if you do put an A1SE through the upgrade process, the video side of things does not get upgraded so the only way to get the higher bandwidth and video conversion is to buy the A1SR.

Mark

6. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi many thanks for all the help given to me so far
    this Denon is a lot more settings than my yam pretty daunting but what the heck setting up is most of the fun
    i have removed the bungs in the speaker posts i have some gold bananas but when inserted are a loose fit is there a way to make them tighter
    one further point is the remote up to the Pronto standard will there be a benifit gained by splashing out on a new Pronto
    P@

7. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    The remote is good, but not as good as a Pronto.

Really depends on what you want from it.

You can get much better button layouts with a pronto but if you just want it to be functional then it works just fine.

I had mine working my Lutron lighting system and the Sky+ box while I waited for my Marantz 5200 to arrive.

Probably the main advantage that the Pronto has is timers unless you have a partcularly complex set of macros in mind.

Mark