1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC1SR - What speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bucko, Mar 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bucko

Bucko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers to get the best out of the AVC1SR. I'm running B&W 603S fronts, a KEF Model 100 centre, then B&W CDM1SE sides and B&W DS6 rear, with the B&W 675 sub. I'm getting itchy feet to change something but with high def and the new disc formats on the way (plus the existing kit is quite ok) I'm not about to spend a load on kit that might need replacing in a few months, plus I want to get the most improvement for my money, so the speakers it is. Incidentally, the centre sits in a cubby hole, I have wooden floors and virtually nothing to absorb the sound. Any ideas? Denon refused (understandably) to help.

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would consider getting it to match so possibly one brand of speaker rather then two. At lest that way the tonal qualitys shoud be the same. It might be worth going for KEF as they seem to make good film and music speakers also the fact that the KEF fits nicely in the space you have. The other thing to consider is a rug, it dosen't need to be big but will absorb some sound. Other brands out there are Monitor audio. But as aways listen before you buy just encase you think they sound completly rubbish.
    The final option is you don't find anything and save your money for a HDTV.

Good luck.

3. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not consider the B&W 704s and HTM7 this would be a better match for your rear speakers while also giving you a consistent and matching front end.

This would be a logical upgrade to the 600 series fronts you already have.

4. Bucko

Bucko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 700 series might work. I think I might be at the stage where you get an ever decreasing return on improvement compared to the cash you spend! I'd want to be sure that either set would improve the sound significantly, and part of me wonders whether to try and go for something different. Although the B&W Nautilus range is an option, does anyone have any ideas in that kind of price bracket that is going to give a significant improvement?

5. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The B&W 800 series would be a massive improvement or rather refinement (I run a pair of 805s myself), however to be honest I don't believe that the Denon would get the best out of them - you're really in Lexicon territory or at minimum Arcam AV8 / P7 which would be a much better match IMHO.

Alternatively the new Denon AVCAX1 is pretty good for a one (big) box solution.

Chris.

6. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    Why would the AVC AX1 drive the B+W 800 any better than Bucko's AVC1SR.
    The power output is the same

7. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not so much about the power, Its about the quality, AVCAX1 is a fairly large improvement IMHO.