Denon avc x6500 marantz sr812

stegalv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Using Yamaha 3050 for 7.2.4 speaker system.with a pioneer av amp for the extra 2 speakers.
I'm thinking of buying the denon or marantz so that I have a single amp,looking around the denon for seems to be selling everywhere for £1650,but the marantz is £2200.
Apart from slightly larger power supply in the marantz they both seem to be identical in all other specs,so why the large price difference?
And being 2018 amps is it worth waiting to see what's next

The Marantz receiver is built using higher grade components and aimed more towards those wanting better stereo performance from their AV receiver. Both its build quality and the components used to manufacture it would be superior to that of the DEnon receiver. For example, the Marantz uses a toroidal transformers and its construction pays more attention to signal path isolation than the Denon model.

The SR8012 also uses Marantz sound-tuning throughout, drawing on experience with the company's two-channel amplifiers, including a copper-plated chassis and a centrally mounted, shielded toroidal transformer with high-current main power supply capacitors.

This is basically what you'd be paying extra for.

Last edited:
Thanks dante,very rarely listen to music,so is the build quality worth the extra £600.

Whether or not it is worth the extra is dependant upon whether or not you are willing to pay for it? THeentire hifo market requires larger amounts for marginal improvements. Quantifying audio quality relative to monetary expenditure os less about what you get for your money and more about you cannot have it unless you are willing to pay for it.

I'd suggest you'll not get another 11 channel receiver with similar qualities. THere are better sounding options, but you'd need to accompany them with external amplification and by the time you've got 11 channels then you'd have spent in excense of £5 or 6K.

If spending the kind of money you are considering spending then I'd suggest you arrange an audition and decide for yourself as to whether or not the Marantz model and its performance justifies the additional expense. Only you can decide this and it is your money.

Last edited:
Thanks,do you not like early nights either

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom