DENON AVC-X4700H - Owners Thread

teknocode

Standard Member
Hi all,

I'm a real novice with all of this so please be gentle and apologies if this is a really stupid question :)
I've been using an Xbox Series X with my 4700 and realise I can't get 4K/120 so have set the Xbox to 4K/60 and am happy with that.
I have now managed to get a PS5 so would like to use the 4K/120 with compatible games.
My question is which HDMI input would be best suited for the Xbox to be changed to?
Hopefully I can still get 4K/60?
I have an XSX and a 4700. I run the Xbox through the tv (LG GX). Siege at 4k/120fps is excellent.

Dorian

Well I've been meaning to report back for a few days now - there has been some developments in my hunt for a new AVR. I tried to order a suitable shelf but couldn't get stock so just decided to order a Denon and make it work with what I have for the time being. Richer Sounds (Preston) were really helpful and because it was difficult to decide between the 3700 and 4700 on paper, they let me home trial both models.

I'll write up a comparison separately but to cut a long story short, I am now the owner of a 4700! Really pleased with it too. It's brought my surround system back to life - the sub and rear speakers are far more active than they ever were with the Sony, and it's so much more engaging to listen to. I have a feeling a lot of this is due to the dynamic volume setting which gives quiet sounds a lift, but even so, the decoding and amp quality on the 4700 is really good. Been pleasantly surprised by music playback too, it's not quite hifi but it's definitely something I can sit and listen to, and enjoy.

It certainly does run warm as people have said - had to turn my radiator thermostat down a few notches :D.

Still got a bit more setup to do - mainly getting the remote to work my Bluray player, and I also need to try my Chromecast Audio via the optical input to see if streaming sounds better than the onboard options. It certainly did on the Sony but I'm quite impressed with the built in Spotify playback so the Denon may not show that much difference,

CaptainJames

Well I've been meaning to report back for a few days now - there has been some developments in my hunt for a new AVR. I tried to order a suitable shelf but couldn't get stock so just decided to order a Denon and make it work with what I have for the time being. Richer Sounds (Preston) were really helpful and because it was difficult to decide between the 3700 and 4700 on paper, they let me home trial both models.

I'll write up a comparison separately but to cut a long story short, I am now the owner of a 4700! Really pleased with it too. It's brought my surround system back to life - the sub and rear speakers are far more active than they ever were with the Sony, and it's so much more engaging to listen to. I have a feeling a lot of this is due to the dynamic volume setting which gives quiet sounds a lift, but even so, the decoding and amp quality on the 4700 is really good. Been pleasantly surprised by music playback too, it's not quite hifi but it's definitely something I can sit and listen to, and enjoy.

It certainly does run warm as people have said - had to turn my radiator thermostat down a few notches :D.

Still got a bit more setup to do - mainly getting the remote to work my Bluray player, and I also need to try my Chromecast Audio via the optical input to see if streaming sounds better than the onboard options. It certainly did on the Sony but I'm quite impressed with the built in Spotify playback so the Denon may not show that much difference,
What main differences did you find between the two?

Jester1066

Nice write up. Bonus is with thermostat lower, the Denon will pay for itself soon enough! 😂

Dorian

What main differences did you find between the two?
Like I say I'll write something decent up because when I was searching I couldn't find anything out there, but basically it's down to the clarity of the sound. The AL32 feature on the 4700 is worth something, it's not marketing speak. There wasn't a massive difference in movies (just clearer dialog) but there was a pretty large difference in music playback between the two. Obviously if you're using a separate stereo amp that's much less of an issue :)

gibbsy

The AL32 feature on the 4700 is worth something.
That is perhaps the biggest difference. AL32 is certainly a step up from the AL24 that I had on my previous Denon, sound steering is excellent.

Jester1066

but there was a pretty large difference in music playback between the two. Obviously if you're using a separate stereo amp that's much less of an issue :)
Agreed. I've got the 4500H around 18mnth ago new - got a sizeable discount of RRP, so was not much more than the 3500H. Adding the Audiolab 6000A took music to another level above again imo 😊

Dorian

Agreed. I've got the 4500H around 18mnth ago new - got a sizeable discount of RRP, so was not much more than the 3500H. Adding the Audiolab 6000A took music to another level above again imo 😊
This is what I want to do next!! Was going to wait a few months, but then if I can get the 1080 sold that's a fair chunk towards the 6000A :)

Jester1066

This is what I want to do next!! Was going to wait a few months, but then if I can get the 1080 sold that's a fair chunk towards the 6000A :)
Yep....

I'll just add one thing:

"The 'Lab' is fab" imo 👍🏼

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom