Denon AVC-X3700H + Yamaha AS1200 + Rel T3

Johnyt

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well my Onkyo TX-NR807 finally died. I gather the TI DSP chip has failed. Can't complain it's been the hub of our lounge for 11 years with a LOT of daily use.

Last year I bought a Yamaha AS1200, Kef R7s and a SL1200GR Turntable. The AS1200 was the driving force of the R7s while taking care of the Turntable, streamer and SACD player.
The Onkyo handled the centre, LFE and surround speakers with the Yamaha acting as its PA for the front L&R. It's all worked brilliantly together especially with the Nvidia Shield's remote magically controlling the TV/movie side of things.

I've just ordered a Denon AVC-X3700H. It has all the pre-outs so I should be be able to hook it up to the AS1200 as a power amp for the front L&R. The 12v trigger output is a bonus as the Onkyo would only trigger out to a zone, not while in its main output. The Denon has a lot of modern features that I'm not interested in right now. I still have a 12 year old Panasonic plasma TV so it really just needs to function the same as the Onkyo did.

If I haven't bored you by now I'd like to ask what's the best way to hook up my old Rel T3 subwoofer? The Onkyo has been connected to the LFE input with the Yamaha AS1200 connected to the Low level input.
The AS1200 manual says its a balanced output so the speaker terminals should not be connected to an active subwoofer, you must use the pre-out just like I've done so far. After reading a few things online apparently REL says its actually ok to use the speaker terminals with some suggesting to connect the ground cable to the chassis ground not the speaker ground.
So should I connect the new Denon AVR to the LFE input like the Onkyo before and the Yamaha to the low level input. Or would it be best to ignore Yamaha's warning and use the high level input exclusively or even with the LFE coming from the Denon too?

surprised you haven’t gotten a reply yet. I’m similarly wondering which Rel input to use. I guess I’ll try the LFE and low level and compare. Have you made any conclusions yet about which is better?

Actually, more googling led to one of Rel’s support articles where they state:

LFE/.1 input:

The LFE/.1 input is only used when connecting your REL to a surround sound system. The LFE/.1 input can be used simultaneously with the High Level or Low Level input for seamless transition from Stereo to surround sound.

Hey, how is the sound of the Yamaha vs just the Denon? I currently have the latter but am dying to know about upgrading to something designed JUST for music…

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom