Denon AVC-X3700H or AVC-X4700H in Monitor Audio Silver setup

meakinsl

Standard Member
Hi building a new home cinema 5.1.2 setup and going to be using monitor audio silver 200 7g floor standers and a Monitor audio silver C250 7G centre speaker with a £1000 sub (yet to be decided), two monitor audio C265-IDC ceiling speakers and as have no back wall a couple of monitor audio ATMOS silver speakers up high pointing down to MLP. I had settled on the denon AVC-X3700H as the AV amp but person spoke today in store said the AVC-X4700H would be better as had more headroom and would perform better at lower volumes - a person I previously spoke to said the AVC-X4700H would be overkill for the 200's and the AVC-X3700H better matched - so have two differing opinions, budget can just about stretch to the AVC-X4700H but would it be worth it - would the 3700 be a better match ? I'm in no hurry as couple months left on renovation so the 3700 being low stock/on order everywhere doesn't really play into it.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Lawrence

Jester1066

Hi.

This thread might help:

Fwiw - I have a Denon 4500 (older gen model to the 4700, but similar power etc). I use this in a 5.2.4 setup, paired with the old 6th Gen Silver speakers as follows:

LCR = Silver 300 & C350 Centre
Surrounds = Silver FX (My sofa's against the wall

Atmos = 4x Dali Alteco C1's (configured as front & rear heights) - mounted at ceiling height on brackets, angled towards MLP.

Subs = 2x SVS SB2000 Pro's

Result? Well it sounds bloody marvelous (to my 43yr old hearing!)

Imo: Either of those AVR's will run your setup with ease (unless you listen at insane volume levels - ie above reference - which would damage your hearing over time).

That said, extra headroom is never a bad thing and only good. Based on that (and being a very happy 4500 owner), if you can stretch the budget I would. Especially if you listen to music too. The 4700 is slightly better in that regard (see thread I linked to).

Hope this helps!

Jester1066

Further to my last reply. Depending on your room dimensions etc you may be able to implement 4 atmos speakers, in a similar layout to mine, by using Silver FX for surrounds...

The picture below is of my setup. Showing (just 😂) the Dali's as atmos heights and Silver FX's on the rear wall (surrounds)

20211104_185001.jpg

SeanBrothers

For what it's worth, you can get a 2 channel amplifier to give you more power for less money. This in no way diminishes the value of the other reasons to choose a 4700 over a 3700.

meakinsl

Standard Member
Thanks for replies and the link, must confess I am leaning towards the 4700, did start to confuse myself last night reading about going for the 3700 and then adding an audiolab amp for the floor standers for music, think going to go the 4700 and maybe further down the line add the other amp if think justified although coming from what I have now I think going to be blown away by the system - at least I hope so ! Impressed by the dual sub's as well - only really have room/budget for one but imagine would be the business with two SB2000 pro's.

Many thanks,

Lawrence

Jester1066

Impressed by the dual sub's as well - only really have room/budget for one but imagine would be the business with two SB2000 pro's.
It certainly has oomph! But (more importantly), in my setup dual subs helped smooth an even bass response in the room.

Incidentally - I use my system 50/50 movies to music..... Implementing an Audiolab 6000A in the way you describe. (As you probably guessed from my participation in the thread I linked to 🤣)

gibbsy

Is the X4700 overkill for your speakers? Possibly. Is the X4700 overkill for your room? Possibly. What it boils down to is do your really want the X4700. If so then buy it as if you don't you'll always having that nagging doubt in the back of your mind.

I run a X6500, have used that level of amp for years. It's quite possibly overkill for my room and for the number of speakers it's being asked to drive, a mere 5.1.2. However, I really enjoy it and that's what counts.

I would not discount using a HT capable stereo amp if music is really important as there are better AV amps for stereo music but even those can't really compete with a quality stereo amp.

Jester1066

Is the X4700 overkill for your speakers? Possibly. Is the X4700 overkill for your room? Possibly. What it boils down to is do your really want the X4700. If so then buy it as if you don't you'll always having that nagging doubt in the back of your mind.

I would not discount using a HT capable stereo amp if music is really important as there are better AV amps for stereo music but even those can't really compete with a quality stereo amp.
100% Agree with these points. In fact "buyers remorse" was a factor in me upgrading from a Denon 2500H to my current 4500H.

I'd suggest maybe auditioning the amp in 2 channel mode with your favourite music. Although I agree that music performance is poor with Denon AVR's (hence I have the Audiolab), ymmv.

DavidT

If you want a 4700 for movies and a stereo amp for music then have you thought about a Marantz SR7015? You would save yourself some money.

Allan Hun

Standard Member
Difference from 105 vs 125w is pretty insignificant.
So I would only consider the x4700 if it offers any desired extra features. And I'm guessing it does not.
For movies you need power in the sub region -so consider spending the money "saved" with the x3700 on a second sub.
If hifi stereo music is a priority a 200-300w power amp probably could make a significant difference -powering the front speakers.
With the internal amps off the x3700 is a fine "pre amp"
Anyone believing marentz is better for music? Go read audio science reviews....

Mac1987

Novice Member
Difference from 105 vs 125w is pretty insignificant.
So I would only consider the x4700 if it offers any desired extra features. And I'm guessing it does not.
For movies you need power in the sub region -so consider spending the money "saved" with the x3700 on a second sub.
If hifi stereo music is a priority a 200-300w power amp probably could make a significant difference -powering the front speakers.
With the internal amps off the x3700 is a fine "pre amp"
Anyone believing marentz is better for music? Go read audio science reviews....
Agreed on power and reading objective measurements. The 4700 does have a nicer front panel, front connections and above all Auro 3D, which most, including myself, far prefer to Dolby and DTS upscalers.
These are all valid reasons for choosing the 4700 over the 3700, but only if the buyer values these things. Otherwise, the 3700 is practically just as good.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom