Denon AVC-X3700H hdmi 2.1 8K/60Hz, 4K/120Hz

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
It has one 8K input and one 8K output (might be 2, but the article's claim of 3 is contradicted by the rear panel photo). As such it doesn't yet switch HDMI 2.1. HDCP 2.3 is supported on all inputs. If you want to run two HDMI 2.1 devices you need to keep replugging cables (as stated in the article: "Wer sich also eine Xbox Series X und Playstation 5 kauft, müsste bei Spielen, die die komplette Bandbreite des HDMI 2.1 Anschlusses nutzen (4K/120p), immer das Kabel umstecken.").

Also, despite the title put in by somebody who obviously didn't scan the article, it is not an AV receiver, it is an AV amplifier (it has no built-in tuner) - as the article itself clearly states ("Beim AVC-X3700H handelt es sich somit eigentlich um einen AV-Verstärker, nicht um einen AV-Receiver.").

Auro-3D und DTS:X Pro are not mentioned, but the article speculates that they are likely available.

Swede80

Standard Member
Also, despite the title put in by somebody who obviously didn't scan the article, it is not an AV receiver, it is an AV amplifier (it has no built-in tuner) - as the article itself clearly states ("Beim AVC-X3700H handelt es sich somit eigentlich um einen AV-Verstärker, nicht um einen AV-Receiver.").
If "somebody" is me I never said it was an AV receiver. 😎

Anyway, good thoughts about the lack of multiple 8K-ports, hopefully some clarification will be done by Denon soon.

Last edited:

jason shep

Dropping the tuner (honestly, WTF? with tuners these days) is a step in the right direction, I wonder how long it will take them to drop analogue video connections?:rolleyes:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
If "somebody" is me I never said it was an AV receiver. 😎
It's not you. By "somebody" I was referring to the web editor who added the German title to the web page without reading the article he was titling.

AFAIK, HDMI 2.1 switching chipsets are not yet readily available, so Denon are unlikely to "clarify" what is clearly a design decision to get an HDMI 2.1 product out of the door as quickly as possible. It was the same when I bought my UHD TV (although for my TV, an upgrade board was made available, at a cost).

steviedr

Distinguished Member
  • AVC-X3700H (€1099 / £999 / $1,199) (August)
  • AVC-X4700H (€1699 / £1,399 / $1,699) (July)
  • AVC-X6700H (€2799 / £2,299 /$2,499 ) (July)
Rear panel photo as mentioned above only shows 1*hdmi 2.1 in/out which is very disappointing if you will have the luxury of 2 next gen consoles this Christmas.

GAmbrose

• AVC-X3700H (€1099 / £999 / $1,199) (August)
  • AVC-X4700H (€1699 / £1,399 / $1,699) (July)
  • AVC-X6700H (€2799 / £2,299 /$2,499 ) (July)
Rear panel photo as mentioned above only shows 1*hdmi 2.1 in/out which is very disappointing if you will have the luxury of 2 next gen consoles this Christmas.
Yes that is annoying.

Though with something like an LG C9/CX, you could plug the consoles directly in to the TV's 4x HDMI 2.1 ports and simply use e-arc for the audio.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Yes that is annoying.

Though with something like an LG C9/CX, you could plug the consoles directly in to the TV's 4x HDMI 2.1 ports and simply use e-arc for the audio.
You certainly can, but I’ve my C9 wall mounted, so it’s a bit of a chore having to run another cable up the wall (although it’s only a one off pain). Also, I use the eArc port Hdmi port 2 currently to pass TVs onboard audio through receiver, I’m assuming the other 3 ports don’t support eArc (never actually looked into it as I’ve never use them)?

GAmbrose

You certainly can, but I’ve my C9 wall mounted, so it’s a bit of a chore having to run another cable up the wall (although it’s only a one off pain). Also, I use the eArc port Hdmi port 2 currently to pass TVs onboard audio through receiver, I’m assuming the other 3 ports don’t support eArc (never actually looked into it as I’ve never use them)?
My understanding is that the TV can send audio from any of the 4 HDMI inputs, down the eARC HDMI connection to an A/V Amplifier/Receiver.

dante01

Distinguished Member
My understanding is that the TV can send audio from any of the 4 HDMI inputs, down the eARC HDMI connection to an A/V Amplifier/Receiver.

No. Only one of the TV's HDMI inputs is ARC or eARC enabled. The AV receiver's ARC/eARC enabled output will be required to be connected to the TV's ARC/eARC enabled input if wishing to use ARC or eARC. ARC and or eARC will not be possible if connecting the AV receiver to any of the other HDMI inputs on the TV.

This is true of any implementation of eARC and eARC equipped TVs only include one input that will be ARC/eARC enabled.

Last edited:

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Hang on, this has got confused.

@steviedr has a TV with 4 HDMI inputs, one of which is eARC enabled.

This means that whatever is connected to the other 3 HDMI inputs, can have it's audio passed through the TV and transmitted to the AVR via the eARC enabled HDMI port. And as it is eARC and not ARC it should be the full HD audio.

dante01

Distinguished Member
This means that whatever is connected to the other 3 HDMI inputs, can have it's audio passed through the TV and transmitted to the AVR via the eARC enabled HDMI port. And as it is eARC and not ARC it should be the full HD audio.
Yes, that would be correct.

Note that LG TVs currently have an issue passing through multi channel PCM via eARC though. LG say that they will be addressing this via a firmware revision though. Whether they do isn't guranteed though. This may raise issues in association with the Apple TV and or games consoles that heavily rely upon PCM. No idea if the new X series TV sets also have this problem?

Rambles

Distinguished Member

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys for confirming, I was hoping the LG tv would be like a hub (as such), so I can plug the series X into hdmi port 3 for eg and divert audio via hdmi port 2 eArc capability to my receiver - excellent, good to know.

Was listening to the Audioholics Denon presentation and while it is just 1* 40Gbps input ((and while LG got a roasting a few weeks ago for their reduced bandwidth X series), it looks like all chipsets including next gen consoles will be 40Gbps, I guess LG’s 9 series was ahead of its time and used a more expensive custom chip)) and 2 outputs, all the other inputs will still provide the 2.1 features (VRR, QMS....) and not just a few like the tv manufacturers provide.

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Yes, that would be correct.

Note that LG TVs currently have an issue passing through multi channel PCM via eARC though. LG say that they will be addressing this via a firmware revision though. Whether they do isn't guranteed though. This may raise issues in association with the Apple TV and or games consoles that heavily rely upon PCM. No idea if the new X series TV sets also have this problem?
They are saying on the US forum that firmware
04.80.03 now resolves the LPCM issue. I still have my PS4 pro connected to an AVR, but if the above I true, I’ll try it out and start using the TVs ALLM function. Will hopefully help with 1*2.1 input mentioned above if you have 2 next gen consoles. Sound united mentioned this in their slides.

Benzyl

Basically just an 8k ready av amp for those that bought an 8k TV.
Pretty sure like my 4k AV Reciever that only does 4k @ 30hz this AV Amp will be superseded by next years offerings all having HDMI 2.1 for all HDMI connections

rajeevbansal

Novice Member
No. Only one of the TV's HDMI inputs is ARC or eARC enabled. The AV receiver's ARC/eARC enabled output will be required to be connected to the TV's ARC/eARC enabled input if wishing to use ARC or eARC. ARC and or eARC will not be possible if connecting the AV receiver to any of the other HDMI inputs on the TV.

This is true of any implementation of eARC and eARC equipped TVs only include one input that will be ARC/eARC enabled.

Sorry to barge in but will appreciate some help. I am setting up my Denon AVR4500X and am going to connect its eARCI port to TV eARC port. A second HDMI cable will connect a Blu-ray player to Denon Blu-ray input port. Will I need a third HDMI cable between Denon and TV so video output of Blu-ray can go to TV or will the cable between using two eARC ports take video to TV. I may have to pass one more wire in wall! Many thanks.

gibbsy

connect a Blu-ray player to Denon Blu-ray input port.
Your initial questions have been answered above. Depending on your make and model of BR player it may need to be configured to output both video and audio from the main HDMI output usually marked as 'video'. This will allow for a single HDMI connection to the Denon for both audio and video with no direct connection to the TV from the player.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Sorry to barge in but will appreciate some help. I am setting up my Denon AVR4500X and am going to connect its eARCI port to TV eARC port. A second HDMI cable will connect a Blu-ray player to Denon Blu-ray input port. Will I need a third HDMI cable between Denon and TV so video output of Blu-ray can go to TV or will the cable between using two eARC ports take video to TV. I may have to pass one more wire in wall! Many thanks.
ARC = Audio Return Channel.

The audio can return back down the same cable used to transmit video from AVR to TV.

eARC is = enhanced Audio Return Channel - the quality of the audio that can return back down the same cable used for video is 'enhanced' so full HD audio quality.