1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1XV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by LicensedTaximan, Sep 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Log on to www.AVLAND.co.uk to see the new Denon monster. If this is the model to replace the AVC A1SRA then they have shot up just a tad on the price. Unless of course there is to be a more direct replacement for that well respected model at a lower price point sometime in the future, otherwise it's the 3805 and then this one. If that's the case it's a hell of a jump. :eek:

I have to say that it looks better, especially in silver, than the similar styling of the Yamaha Z9, that's only my opinion. But how high a price does one pay for an all in one jobby even though it might be the bees knees. :zonked:

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    It was crossing my mind if there would be something like a 4805 number to be more of a direct replacement of the AVC A1SRA. Like many people I do not require a muliti zone AV amp, or spend £4500, whether I could afford it or not......by the way I can't :rolleyes:

By the way what did I do wrong, if any, that the AV Land site that I typed in did not respond. :confused:

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 4805 will replace the 4802/4802R which is the USA version of the A11SR. :)

5. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Hmm if that is the case then presumably an actual direct replacement for the 1SRA might not be on the cards, and therefore the three k replacement becomes four and a half k one. :eek:

Unless the 4805 ,if that's what it's going to be named, is a higher spec model than the AVC A11SR and therefore becomes the new 1SRA replacement. :confused:

6. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AVC-A1XV is the direct replacement for the A1SRA. The price hike is pretty substantial but you're getting a very sophisticated piece of kit. All the new Flagship amps have gone up in price but by the time they are actually released you can get them cheaper than the RRP.

7. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    I appreciate that as each flagship model is replaced it not only improves with its speck and sound capbabilities but generally speaking they go up in cost, and yes it's true that the latest Yammy and Pioneer top of the range AV amps have increased, but at two to three hundred pounds not approx £1500. :eek:

I'm also guessing, as with most of Denons higher speck products, that this latest beast is probably going to get a cracking review when it is released over hear. But the Pioneer had a superlative write up by Alvin Gold in HCC and that sells for about £1500 less at about £3000, and i'm not saying that's peanuts either. Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the Denon product, far from it, I like a lot of their stuff and i'm in no doubt that it's a very sophisticated, and imo, good looking piece of kit. But even with the price reduced by 10% your still looking at approx £4000. :)

8. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is expensive. But depends what you're after. You are getting a very flexible multiroom system chucked in (if you should need that option) as well as video scaling, HDMI/DVI switching, Room EQ that can cope with up to 8 seat positions at the same time. Internally it has some of the best DSP's, DAC's on the market. Some people have argued that you should get Seperates when spending that amount of money but there are none on the market with that equivalent spec/internals/processing power.

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    When I bought my A1SE about 3 years ago, I bought it for £1800.

All I want is PLIIx (I've already had the PLII upgrade done), and it seems that to get this whilst retaining the flagship power and sound quality of my A1SE is going to cost 2.5 times what I paid for my A1SE.
    If this is true, its a nonsense and Denon are losing the plot!

Nearly 5 grand for an amplifier is nuts, even in my book!

10. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you only want PLIIx why not just get an A1SRA? It's something I've considered but I also want Room EQ. I do find it frustrating that no PLIIx upgrade is being offered for the already upgraded A1SE as I currently own one.

11. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI

Any idea when this 4805 is likely to appear? Will it have HDMI switching?

Just about to take the plunge on a 3805, but if the 4805 is around the corner! :blush:

Gerald.

12. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    According to Denon when I telephoned them about three weeks ago, any replacement for model avc11sr will apparently not appear untill about March of next year. Whether it will be numbered 4805 including tuner, probably America, or be an avc prefix av amp no tuner, Europe/Japan is unknown. :)

13. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Anybody know when the 5805 will be available in the UK?

Thanks, Gerald.

14. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    February 2005 was the last rumoured date for release.

15. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    If I was using this amp as a processor only, how would it compare to the top end meridian and lexicons?

16. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  17. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    While the Denon does look amazing, (though out of my league (financially by a factor of 5-10x), what happens when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are released 2005/6 and feature new DD and DTS lossless sound formats? :confused:

Also, if you are spending £4k on an amp, why on earth would you be using phono or svhs video inputs? surely everything you owned would be minimum component, but more likely hdmi/dvi. If I could afford/justify spending such amounts of money I'd want the £2.5k Denon dvd player to go with it with hdmi. As soon as I got my dvd hdd rec I ditched vhs, if you have a top set up I would assume you would too. Just can't see the point for so many anaologue connections!?

18. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You might but not everyone will. Also what happens if they by this amp and want to wait for HD/Blu ray before upgrading the DVD player or they can't afford a DVD recorder and still have a VCR. It is a standard connection a you have to admit less reports of problems compared to HDMI/DVI.

Also the second a third zones run off of analogue, only the main zone has digital picture.

19. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Anyone know if Denon will offer a firmware upgrade for the AVC-A1XV to support the new multi-channel sound codecs i.e. Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD ?

20. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    It will need a hardware upgrade more than likely and Denon have mentioned they will be offering this. As yet, final code specs for DD+/DTS HD and HDMI Ver1.3 chipsets are still being sorted.

As it stands at the moment the A1XV is covered for the new formats as any Amp with HDMI 1.1 will be able to accept the decoded Hi-Res PCM signals from the new Blu-Ray/HD DVD players (they will decode the new HD audio formats internally). The A1XV also has bass management on it's external decoder inputs so you could also connect that way and apply any bass management/EQ if need be.

21. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    Isn't it the hardware/formware updated AX1A that gets HDMI V1.1 ( and 1080p video cabability)? It think that's what I heard from Colin2305 and the AVS guys.

BR, Nick

22. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    The A1XV (and A11XV) already have HDMI V1.1 (as they can accept DVD Audio via HDMI) but not the capability to pass 1080P (which I find odd as even HDMI 1.0 supported 1080P). This upgrade is due fairly soon. HDMI, such a wonderful set of standards...

23. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Unless you're talking about the DVD A1XVA? That model gets 1080P scaling added to it and is due now. Older DVD A1XV's need a hardware update to bring them up to spec.

24. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Hi Jase,

Thank you for the comments.

At present I have a five year old Denon AVC-A1SE (7.1 Ultra THX). Superb AV amp. Like many I will be looking to upgrade to the latest Denon flag ship at some point this year so that I can benefit from DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD when Blu-ray finally makes an appearance on the UK market.

Obviously the latest flag ship amps are a fair bit more expensive than those of 4-5 years ago and consequently I wish to make sure that when I upgrade the Amp is future proofed as far as 1080p and support for the new DD TrueHD, DTS HD 7.1 codecs which will be carried on HD DVD & Blu-ray.

Obviously I will await the upgraded AVC-A1XVA. You say this new model will support 1080p, but obviously this model will never be able to carry DTS HD/Dolby TrueHD over HDMI (when the 1.3 standard is finalised) unless the units HDMI chip set is upgraded. One presumes that Denon will provide an upgrade for this.

Regards
    Adrian

25. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Question for existing AVC-A1XV owners:

Would I be correct in my belief that the HDMI switching will not work when the AV amp is in standby mode (I notice the standby power for this unit is quoted at < 1W) ?

The scinario I am thinking of is when 'one' simply wishes to watch general TV using the TV's own inbuilt sound system. I generally use the AV Amp only when watching DVDs. But if the SKY HD box and Blu-ray/DVD player are connected to the A1XVA via HDMI then this surely means that it would not be possible to watch SKY without bringing the AV amp out of standby mode!!

Thanks in advance for any feedback
    Kind Regards
    Adrian

26. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    As it stands at the moment the current A1XV Amp is due an upgrade soon which will give it 1080P switching via HDMI as well as Analog to HDMI upconversion. Whether this model gets rebadged as the AVC-A1XVA or not, I don't know, although the DVD player has been rebadged the DVD-A1XVA with it's new upgrade. Denon will, as far as I know, be offering further upgrades to the AVC-A1XV to include native decoding of the new HD formats as and when everything is sorted re Codecs, HDMI 1.3 etc. No doubt a new model will appear which has all this already included but I've been told that it's at least a year away.

27. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    As far as I'm aware you have to power up the unit to use HDMI switching etc.

28. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    So in summary:

1. The AVC-A1XVC cannot decode native Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD.

2. HDMI 1.3 will be required to transport HD codecs from the BluRay/HD DVD player to the AV Amp.

3. The AVC-A1XVA will require both a hardware & firmware upgrade in order to support HDMI 1.3 and to perform decoding of HD codecs.

4. It will be possible to enjoy discrete 7.1 DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD by using the Optical (High resolution PCM) connection.

5. The above implies that early HD/Blu-ray players (March 06 USA, Sept.06 UK) will as standard convert HD codecs to High resolution PCM. Also early Blu-ray/HD players might not support HDMI 1.3 and thus could be out of date by early 2007!!

29. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Not in it's current form.

HDMI 1.3 will be required to transfer the raw data in digital form to the Amp so it can perform the decoding.

Yes.

The High Res PCM signal will be carried via HDMI. The standard Optical or Coaxial outputs will get a downsampled digital signal although at a slightly higher bitrate than we currently get with DVD. Alternatively the new players should have multichannel analog outs as well.

Yes. They will convert the HD Codecs to High Res PCM. HDMI will give you the best quality option.

As for HDMI 1.3, indeed, they could be out of date within a year. Good eh?! LOL

30. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Denon have pushed the AVC-A1XV (A) back to July.

Denon rep. still insists it will support the new HD codecs. Although quite how, when HDMI 1.3 is not even due to be formalised until mid 2006, I am not sure.