Denon AVC-A1XV used as a power amp by an AV Processor

Bobelsin

Novice Member
Hello everyone, just registered to AVforums as I enjoy the different topics and discussions around home cinema building.

I have a question concerning my system, which is as follow:

AV Receiver: (old) Denon AVC-A1XV that I owned since 2007

Monitor Audio Silver 8 for front speakers from 2007 as well

Monitor Audio C350 for central speaker

Subwoofer: Monitor Audio APEX Aw12

2 satellite speaker Dali Alteco C1

Oppo UDP 205 4K and Apple TV 4K as source

Projector: JVC DLA N5 4K

I would like to be able to benefit from the latest surround sound technology (Atmos, DTX,..) but I would like to keep using my Denon AVC-A1XV as I love it and consider it very reliable.

So here is my question: is it a solution to consider to buy an AV processor, capable of processing all the new technologies cited above and to link it to the Denon and use it only as power amp?

As for the processor, I have not yet decided.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks for your support and help.

Boris

Jase

Distinguished Member
Yes, you can do that as I did that with my AVC-A1XV.

You connect the Pre-Outs on the new AV Processor/AVR to one set of the External Decoder Inputs on the Denon, select EXT In 1 (or 2) as the Source and set the Volume to 0db. Make sure DSP Processing is set to Off for the EXT Inputs.

You can also set the Denon Volume to power on at 0db. Once this is done all volume control etc is handled by the new AVP/AVR.

Just make sure the Denon power amp assignment is correct for the speakers connected to it e.g L1 - FL, R1 - FR etc etc.

The Subwoofer/s will need to be connected to the new AVP/AVR.

Last edited:

Bobelsin

Novice Member

You connect the Pre-Outs on the new AV Processor/AVR to one set of the External Decoder Inputs on the Denon, select EXT In 1 (or 2) as the Source and set the Volume to 0db. Make sure DSP Processing is set to Off for the EXT Inputs.

You can also set the Denon Volume to power on at 0db. Once this is done all volume control etc is handled by the new AVP/AVR.

Just make sure the Denon power amp assignment is correct for the speakers connected to it e.g L1 - FL, R1 - FR etc etc.
That is excellent news! Thank you for that! I
May I ask what processor you chose and if you are happy with your new configuration? Atmos really work this way? Many thanks again! Boris

Jase

Distinguished Member
That is excellent news! Thank you for that! I
May I ask what processor you chose and if you are happy with your new configuration? Atmos really work this way? Many thanks again! Boris

At the time I used a Marantz SR7010 for processing. I used the Denon to power the seven main channels and the Marantz for the four height channels.

Unfortunately my AVC-A1XV failed not long afterwards (the HDMI board had already broken as well) so I gave it away to someone on this Forum.

Bobelsin

Novice Member
At the time I used a Marantz SR7010 for processing. I used the Denon to power the seven main channels and the Marantz for the four height channels.

Unfortunately my AVC-A1XV failed not long afterwards (the HDMI board had already broken as well) so I gave it away to someone on this Forum.
Thank you for your help. Let’s hope my Denon survives the coming years. Speak later

Bobelsin

Novice Member

The Subwoofer/s will need to be connected to the new AVP/AVR.
Hi Jase,
I played a little bit with the Denon yesterday and I came to the conclusion that I will try to use the Oppo UDP-205 as pre-pro as it can do it in 7.1 configuration. IMine today is only 5.1 but that does not matter for now. Why do you say that the sub will need to be connected to the Pre-pro? Especially as a pre-pro does not have any amp? How does that work? Many thx for your help! Boris

Jase

Distinguished Member
Hi Jase,
I played a little bit with the Denon yesterday and I came to the conclusion that I will try to use the Oppo UDP-205 as pre-pro as it can do it in 7.1 configuration. IMine today is only 5.1 but that does not matter for now. Why do you say that the sub will need to be connected to the Pre-pro? Especially as a pre-pro does not have any amp? How does that work? Many thx for your help! Boris

Hi Boris. It depends what you're connecting to it. If you were using another AVP/AVR then the Denon would act purely as a poweramp so the subwoofer would need to be connected to the AVP/AVR.

With the Oppo I would connect that just as an external decoder (like you would do with a DVD Audio/SACD player). In this case you would connect the subwoofer to the Denon as normal. The Denon is then used to control the volume just like any other source.

If you do this don't set the volume to 0db as described above as that's only if used as a poweramp!

You also then have the option to use DSP Processing on the EXT In so you can use bass management, EQ etc. Or you can leave that off and use the Oppo setup options for it's 7.1 analog outputs.

Jase

Distinguished Member
The other option which is even simpler is just use an HDMI cable. The Denon can accept Multichannel PCM so the Oppo should be able to decode Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA internally and send that as Multichannel PCM over HDMI to the Denon.

That's what I did before the HDMI board failed on mine.

If you're wanting Atmos and DTS:X then you will need a new AVP/AVR to decode/process that.

Mr Wolf

Well done. I really love seeing threads like this where people are making smart use of older kit - both environmentally and wallet friendly, what's not to love.

I've kept my trusty 19 year old Denon 3802 around (only got retired due to lacking HDMI) to power 6 channels on a future Atmos system through its 7CH inputs.

Over on AVS loads of guys have done things like this. Some even buying up multiple old but powerful AVRs and using their bi-amp features to really amp things up with a new AVR doing the processing. Not the most elegant solution but if they're all hidden away anyway then who cares.

Last edited:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Well done. I really love seeing threads like this where people are making smart use of older kit - both environmentally and wallet friendly, what's not to love.

I've kept my trusty 19 year old Denon 3802 around (only got retired due to lacking HDMI) to power 6 channels on a future Atmos system through its 7CH inputs.

Over on AVS loads of guys have done things like this. Some even buying up multiple old but powerful AVRs and using their bi-amp features to really amp things up with a new AVR doing the processing. Not the most elegant solution but if they're all hidden away anyway then who cares.

I'd have kept my A1XV as a poweramp but both sets of EXT Inputs failed (along with the Pre-Outs) so I suspect a board inside detached/failed. The HDMI board had already packed up.

Bit frustrating as it had plenty of grunt but the repair cost would have been more than it was worth. A new HDMI board alone was over 700 quid.

Anyway, for those that have spare AVR's they're worth trying out as poweramps as they'll often have beefier power supplies than newer models.

skywalker1010

This thread is really interesting as I may be in the same boat. I have just upgraded my screen to an 83" A90J, fantastic picture. But my amp/receiver is an Onkyo 5010 and does not pass through 4K, so I was looking to buy a new amp completely with 2.1 HDMI and 4K ability. But the Onkyo still packs a punch and I also have it's predecessor the Denon AVC-A1SE lying here doing nothing.

Could I get i new processor with 4K HDMI and be able to move to an Atmos set up, using either or both the old amps as power?

I hate throwing these away as @Mr Wolf says, and a processor with these two would be a lot less than throwing down another £5K on a new amp.

RickDeckard

Standard Member
Hello everyone, just registered to AVforums as I enjoy the different topics and discussions around home cinema building.

I have a question concerning my system, which is as follow:

AV Receiver: (old) Denon AVC-A1XV that I owned since 2007
I had the the Denon AVC-A1XVA until 2010 and power channel were the worst part of it.
IMHO just sell it and buy a recent multichannel AMP + a Surround Processor or an HT integrated Amplifier like the most recent Arcams.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom