1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1XV - anyone seen it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stuart Wright, Feb 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    I ask because it has a video processor in it which according to the review in issue 114 (February 2005) of Home Cinema Choice 'sports a builtin video scaler from Faroudja with DCDi technology and 12-bit/216MHz video DACs to upconvert interlaced 480i/576i sources to 480p, 576p 720p and 1080i.'
    The review is only 3 pages and disappointingly there is no analysis of the picture quality output at all.
    I'd be very interested to hear whether anyone has had chance to give the video a thorough testing. I use 1280x720 in my system and if one box can both handle the video and the audio to a sufficient quality (and from past experience the denon can certainly handle the audio side) then I would be very interested in this box for my home cinema.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi Stuart

I hope to get my sticky mitts on one in the near future. The only "problem" I can see is that the US Version (5805) will only scale a 480i source to 720p and 1080i. PAL signals are only output at 576p even if the scaler is set to 720p or 1080i. I'm not sure if this is the case for the A1XV though.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    If that's the case then the video processing element has gone from potentially very useful to absolutely useless.
    The whole point is that the output needs to be fixed at the output setting, for example 720p, irrespective of the source format.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I'm trying to download the Manual for the A1XV from the Denon UK site to see if I can find out if the same applies to the UK/Euro version with regards to scaling. Keep getting errors and the document won't load properly. :(

5. Seanmac

Seanmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stuart

Oxford Audio have one in stock ,seen it 2 weeks ago as I,m sorting out a Denon 4806 and DVD A1XV.It looks fabulous in the flesh.

Speak to Keith he has a lot of knowledge about Denon`s new units, and has herad these units at Denon`s demos

seanmac

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    I give up. Tried about 10 times now and can't get it to download properly. Link below if anyone wants a go.

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/download.php?datei=datadir/pdf/ba/Bed_AVC-A1XV.PDF

Ok. Tried it another way (opened in browser). On Page 69 about the Video Scaling. If the video input signal includes copyright protection data, the signal is output with a resolution of 480p or 576p, even if the resolution is set to 1080i or 720p.

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    :thumbsdow

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw one today and it is HUGE

9. Madskilzz

Madskilzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Stick four wheels on it and you have cracking hatchback.

10. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi there,

I got my A1XV two weeks ago and am happy to answer any questions. And yes, it is HUGE and needs at least 2 people to carry...

With regards to the scaler, that was one of my main issues when I read the 5805 manual before buying it. However, the European manual says something completely diffeerent and I can confirm that it is possible to scale 576i to 720p and 1080i. Otherwise, I agree, a scaler would have been pretty useless for Europeans. With regards to the picture quality, I might not be the best person to answer that as I simultaneously got a Pioneer 505XDE and am still so stunned with the PQ that I cannot give an objective verdict :).

What I can say though is that the difference between 576i and 720p on digital cable is big, and although there is some noise in the picture and a very slight ghosting on the right hand side, this is due to the poor signal in the first place and not the scaler. The only negative point with the scaler in my opinion is that

1. it doesn't allow HDMI scaling, i.e. your DVD player needs a built in scaler. This is fine for now, but e.g. later this year Telewest will bring out a new cable box/PVR with HDMI that will be PAL for quite some time and you won't be able to scale it.
    2. The processor does not transmit component via HDMI, which means you need both an HDMI connection to your screen and a component. This is silly as in order to scale an analog signal the processor needs to digitise it and instead of simply sending it via HDMI the Denon then converts it back to component.

Other than than I'm very happy with the A1, apart from the slight issue that HDMI switching with the 3910 does not work (yet), but that's due to the 3910 firmware.