1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1SRA replacement?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by michael.redfern, Apr 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Get a load of this...

AVLand

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    That's the replacement for the A11SR not the A1SRA. The monster A1XV is the A1SRA's replacement. ;)

The A11XV is known in the USA as the 4806 and it's released has been delayed. Rumours are floating about that this is because DD+ and DTS HD support may be added. :thumbsup:

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Here's hoping that is the reason why.

4. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I was kind of thinking more along the lines of a cost replacement, cos let's face it, the A1SRA is readily available at around £2.5k, but stumping £4k for the XV is quite a step!

5. Endeavour

Endeavour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :rolleyes:

It's always the same. Just as you think you have definitely decided on a piece of kit, along comes another announcement. I was discussing what a gap there seemed to be between the 3805 and the A1XV with my dealer but he didn't let on about the A11XV. I can see the extra switching/upscaling being useful and more muscle is always nice. THX doesn't really apply with my speaker set-up though. Despite being usefully cheaper than the A1XV, the A11XV is still 3x the price of the 3805. Still too much of a gap?

The information on the new HD audio formats seems to be pretty thin. Dolby talk a lot about compatibility in their press release but it wasn't clear whether you needed something extra on your amp to benefit from the added functionality. DTS have even less information and don't seem to mention anything about backwards compatibility. Anyone know what the implications are?

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +831
    Info is a bit thin to be honest. Certainly plenty of rumours floating about! Whilst I'd like my next purchase to have all it's bases covered for the future, realistically HD isn't going to be with us until at least mid 2006 I'd say. Both HD DVD and Blu Ray have still got to battle it out to see who becomes top dog. First Gen players are highly unlikely to be perfect and software will probably be expensive and limited to start with. I'm not even sure if they've decided how the new DD+/DTS HD formats will actually be carried from the player to the amp, whether it be digital via HDMI, Firewire or whatever. There has been suggestion that the players will do the decoding of the higher res format in a similar way to DVD Audio players now (passing the analogue signal to an amps external decoder inputs). I doubt if HDMI is the be all and end all as there have been concerns about it's ability to pass digital audio without problems (jitter being one of them). All seems a bit of a minefield really. :thumbsdow

I think I'll just upgrade in the next couple of months to an A1XV and then sit back until HD sorts itself properly before I dive in changing displays, players.......