Denon AVC A1SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chicken balti, Aug 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if anyone else out there has (or is) experiencing my particular problem or whether I'm not reading my user manual properly - not hard considering its undecipherable at the best of times.

Anyway, I'm experiencing sound problems on a few dvd's which manifests itself as a slight echo from the centre speaker. My dvd player is a Sony DVPS725 with an optical link to the amp. Affected (afflicted) dvd's are Sexy Beast (R2) and Cherry Falls (R2) so far. Additionally, I have a few R1 and R2 dvd's which have Dolby Digital soundtracks (according to the case notes - R1 Brainstorm being a good example) but the amp display shows them as Pro Logic, despite the DD led lighting up. And it sure sounds like plain old DPL to me.

I've got the amp set up to auto sense the signal being fed to it but I don't know if these are dvd mastering problems, player problems or amp setup problems. Anyone out there had this problem fixed with a firmware upgrade or something?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dolby Digital does not necessarily mean you get 5.1 surround sound, DD can also carry 1.0 (mono) or 2.0 (duplicated mono or stereo) or anything else up to 5.1<br />The 2.0 (stereo) track can, as any other stereo track, contain a DPL signal.

The particular title (Brainstorm) you mention is of such kind. It has DPL embedded in the DD track.

No idea about the echo, may need to ask other AVC-A1SE owners ...

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,629
    Could it be related to the delay settings of the front 3 speakers?<br />Maybe the centre speaker is set to have a delay which is mismatched so that sounds intended for all 3 fronts are not eaching your ear at the same time.

4. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Can only help with experiences from my A1D and have to say the SPECTRE is spot on.

A friend of mine had a good mess around with my amp whilst I was getting ready to go out and boosted some and lowered other on the delat ( speaker distance ) settings

This did result in an echo

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Completely agree on the Denon manual point, - absolute incoherent nonsense, when i called Denon just to ask if anyone there had actually looked at the thing before sending them out i was told - "yeah that Croatian geezer who sorted them out stitched us right up" (or words to that effect) Good old Denon customer service again - Muppets.