1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1SE (upgraded), denon link capabilities?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zAndy1, Sep 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    Hi,
    I've got an upgraded Denon AVC-A1SE which I think included a denon link upgrade. If I get e.g. the Denon 3910 will it work with my amp ok over denon link or has the amp been left behind a little by new developments? I guess I want to know e.g. will dvd-audio work over the denon link?

Cheers
    Andy

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    It depends when your amp was upgraded.
    If it was with the first batch of upgrades, then it will have a the first edition Denon Link which cannot pass DVD Audio.
    If it was with the latest batch of upgrades then it will have 2nd edition Denon Link which WILL pass DVD Audio, but it still won't pass SACD!

However, if yours is first edition Denon Link, you may still be able to get a free upgrade to 2nd edition link as I did, provided you buy a Denon DVD player that is also equipped with 2nd edtion Denon link.

This probably sounds confusing, and it is. Denon really made a balls up of this! They left some of us with DVD players that couldn't pass anything to our amps via Denon Link for about 12 months!

You can tell if your amp has 2nd edition link by looking for the letters 'SE' next to the Denon Link socket.

If it is first edition Denon Link, then don't hang about...contact Denon quickly! They may still be doing the link upgrades but not for much longer!
    The only problem is you have to send it off to Denon (at their expense), and they aren't very efficient!

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,484
    Cheers for that, don't think mine is an SE one, sent it away to be upgraded with the KAVC-A1SE board which I'm pretty sure is just the standard denon link. I'll give them a ring and see what they can do.

Cheers
    Andy