1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1SE onscreen display. HELP!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jim Robson, Jun 5, 2001.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    :(Blush! I just collected my new Denon AVC-A1SE today. Please don't suggest I ask the dealer!! OK, I've plugged everything in and have even been listening to Classic FM on Sky Digital in DTS-Neo 6 Music mode. I also eventually found out how to make the DVD player output sound by selecting the default coax 2 (instead of 1 that I had it plugged into!) and watched a test DVD in 6.1 etc. All seven speakers work very well too! My problem is that I'm not sure how to activate the onscreen display. I've connected an S-video lead from the TV to the TV S-video socket on the Denon and fiddled about with the TV but can't see the display. My TV is a Toshiba 56" RPTV. Can any kind soul lead me through the (no doubt) very simple path to success, please?? Hopefully it's just the same as a Denon 3801? Without this display I can't set anything up at all!!

Regards

Jim :confused:

2. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Jim
    Congratulations on your new purchase.

I can point you towards a couple of AVC-A1SE things that could prevent you from seeing the OSD, I can't really help for the TV.

1. Make sure that the video circuit is active, it can be deactivated to increase sound quality. On the front panel there is a button marked "VIDEO ON/OFF". Press it and ensure that the display reports that the video circuit is active.

2. Make sure that the outputs that you are using are the MONITOR OUT-1 jacks and not the MONITOR OUT-2 jacks – no on screen displays are output from these jacks. Also, make sure that you have not plugged your monitor lead onto the TV input jacks.

3. If you have just a composite feed going into the Denon, you will only get on screen displays output from the composite MONITOR OUT-1 jack.

Hope that one of those is the cure – if not then let us know.

3. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mark! :)

Thanks for the advice and the congratulations. To think I thought my Sony 930 was complicated!

I'm just off to London in a few minutes (by train, groan!) but I'll have another go tonight. It must be something really simple but then I'm no expert which is a shame really as I'm sure I will never get the best out of my new beast. Still, as long as it sounds good enough to me I suppose that'll suffice.

I have quite a few DVD's I've not played yet just so I can hear them in THX-EX and DTS-ES Discrete. Believe it or not I haven't even watched Gladiator yet, and I bought it as soon as it came out! I also have Toy Story 2, Seven (the new Platinum Edition) and Chicken Run!

Regards

Jim :D

4. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Mark, I now have a working OSD. I had the S-video lead plugged into the wrong jack on the Denon TV-In, instead of Monitor 1-Out. It was just as you said so, silly me!

The only trouble is that there are now so many parameters to play with but at least I've set up the delay/speaker distance correctly!!

Regards

Jim :D

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    No problem.
    Mark

6. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Thought I would resurrect an old thread on my search rather than start another.

I have had the Denon AVC-A1SE since launch and have recently moved all my set up around with a new LCD, the Samsung LE52F96BD.

Long story short, I have been trying to get the Denon's OSD up using a S-Video cable to the Samsung all bloomin weekend:rolleyes:

I simply cannot get the OSD up, when using S-Video input selection on the Samsung. I am using Monitor 1 out and currently just have my SkyHD box inputting sound over Optical 3.

I have tried every which way, I have done this before, so I know it works, but on a Toshiba LCD.

Alternatively, I heard there was a way to use the Denon's LED screen to set this up. I am after speaker size, room size, crossover. I can normally change Surround Parameters and fiddle with the speaker levels, but I think you can go deeper with the right buttons?

Please help anyone.... this is driving me nuts.:devil:

7. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  8. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Thread is seven years old....best start a new'un.

9. skywalker1010

skywalker1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I naturally thought that resurrecting an old thread with very similar topic was better than starting another.

But as moderator you are the boss :devil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.