1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1SE Delight

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jules, May 22, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Just thought I let people know, I've just splashed out on an AVC-A1SE, and it's the best 2K I've ever spent.
    I'm one of those fools whose ugraded from the AVC-A1 to AVC-A1D, and now to the AVC-A1SE.
    I thought the original A1 was better than the AVC-A1D, it was more musical.
    However, the A1SE provides me with the
    stereo performance I've always looked for but never quite found in an AV amp.
    It's processing is better too, and the
    6.1 sound is just the icing on the cake.

Believe the hype, this is one of those products you will want to keep for a very long time. I think it's a bargain!

It pains me to find a single fault with it, but there's one thing that could be improved....making it automatically switch off the back channels in pro-logic mode. It seams the back channel has to be either on or off in every surround mode unless you switch it off manually.

Apart from that one minor gripe, I'd advise anyone who has been toying with the idea, to bite the bullet and buy this beast - you won't regret it!

2. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Glad you're so happy with your new amp. I've been dithering about buying one too but unfortunately I'm now worried that I've left it a little late and that Denon might announce an improved/new version later this year!! There's also the problem of the upgrade to DPLII and the new DTS system etc.

Did you buy a 'grey' import model or the genuine UK article with 2-year Denon warranty? If so, where did you buy it from. Is £2k the standard sort of price now. They can't be as scarce as they were last year. Any info/tips gratefully received.

Regards

Jim :D Jimmy.Robson@btinternet.com :cool:

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I bought it from Sound & Vision in Bolton for £1899. They would have delivered for free, but I'm fairly near so I collected it.
    It's well known that they sell grey imports, but I saved £600 and it's excatly the same as one you'd buy from an authorised dealer.

Some other dealer told me it would be a lower spec (or Grade B) model at that price. Well personally, I think that was sour grapes on their part and a fairy story!

As for getting it repaired... with my experience of Denon's flagship amps, they don't break! So I'm not worried about the
    "If it goes wrong" scenario.

I would not buy a product from an unauthorised dealer unless it had been on the market for a few months with no reported design faults. I've not heared of any problems with the AVC-A1SE.

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    :D Welcome to the club Jules, I bought my A1SE from sdb who are not an authorised dealer and I've had no problems. They must honour a yearly guarantee anyway and if you have a problem in this first year it is highly likely that they will just replace the entire unit.
    Cast your browser to http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumdenonavr5800informationforum for the AVC-A1SE and AVR-5800 forum.
    Mark B

5. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi jules.

I'v been thinking of buying the same amp myself the cheapest i can find was £1995.00 this was from PRC they are supposed to be a authorised dealer, but I'v not had chance to phone them yet to double check. They also do intrest free according to there advert, it was in this months HCC mag.

What speakers are you using with the beast I was thinking of going for the B&W CDM Series, any info would be helpfull when Iget around to purchasing one.
    Did you find it easy to set up also?, I'v hear the manuel is not much cop!

Steve k ;)

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Hi Steve,

The manual is absolutely pants!, but frankly I didn't look at it once because the on screen set up process is so straight forward.

I'm using KEF Reference 1's on the main L & R, KEF Centre 100, TDM45DS rears, TDM23F for the centre back channel, and 45B SUB.
    It's awsome, although rather pricey.

I've learned over time, to find out what you
    would really like and then buy it a bit at a time. Every time I ever compromised on cost grounds, I ended up spending more in the end and waiting longer because I always upgraded
    anyway.

7. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    :D
    Hi Jules
    I found that out myself Jules better to save up and get the ones u want rather than go for second best and regret it later.
    thats why I'm going for the B&W's there nice looking speakers and I'v been told the sound is awsome for both home cinema and music, because they are good looking speakers managed to get her in door to let me have them even though they are expensive but worth it in the long run.
    Can't make me mind up when to get it though as there's talk about pro-logic 2 coming out and this might be added to the Dennon.
    Thanks for the info let me know if you here of anythink.

;) Steve