1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1SE + B&W Passive Subs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ballistix, Jan 29, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Ballistix

Ballistix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fellas, hope someone can help!

I've just bought this amp, second hand. Wanted to upgrade and this amp is really nice. Now heres my problem (imagine my initial reaction...) I have a lovely (I think so!) set of B&W SMC Serious reference THX speakers, I think probably the first THX speaker set that B&W did in the mid 90's.

They come with two huge Passive subs, as was the design spec then, not sure if it still is for THX Ultra, but anyway.

Now because they are passive my normal plan would be to bi-wire them into the front channel set, however now that I have done this, I can't seem to set them up?? I don't hear anything when trying to set the LFE cut off. IS this because the amp is sending that signal via the phono Sub connector??

I've set the speakers to large in an attempt to make this work. If I do the channel level setup then the subs produce sound at the same time as the relevant front speaker, but thats it, I can't set any cut-off or anything else??

Any ideas?! Don't tell me I have to buy another Power Amp to power them? What about connecting them to the B speakers, I would prefer that because I would be using another 170WATTS output rather than powering of the front mains...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Tony

2. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd turn the sub off (for now) in the speaker set-up and let the .1 channel go through the left & right channels.

But, you should really get a 2-channel power amp and run it from the sub output. Or better still, instead of buying a power amp, go out and buy an active sub.

John

3. Ballistix

Ballistix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John, well , I love the setup the B&W set really are very nice..

Here is the sub...two of them... http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFile/speakerModel/ACF2679.pdf

Just a thought, could I connect them up to one of the "B" speaker connections as not to draw from the fronts...maximising use of the amp?

Regards,

Tony

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a try on my AVC-A11SR and could only get the sub channel to output from the front left & rights, if the sub output was turnned off.

Looks like that power amp might be a good idea, if you wanna keep your subs.

Good luck!

John

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Not really, as the "B" terminals are Surround B and are for use with a second set of surround speakers. Surround B also shares its amplification with Surround A and you would be placing extra strain on these amps.

The A1SE has no Power Amp Assignment feature either (unlike the A1SR).

Your best bet at the moment is to select Front Left & Right Speakers Large and No Sub but get yourself another power amp to run the subs as and when you can.

6. Ballistix

Ballistix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks fellas. In fact I forgot that I had a Denon POA-T10 I could use and have hooked the subs up to that. Only 125 Watts per channel but actually they driver pretty well off of it.

Another quick question. Was playing with the Amp today. I've fed a DVD-Audio into the back of it using high quality leads (6x Atlas analog into the EXT-IN phonos). I've been trying some of the discs out that I have and the sound quality is tremendous! However, the amp is pretty non-descript with the mode it is in...just saying EXT-IN. Thats it, not that its high resolution or anything else, although it clearly is.....I think :) .. Is there not a nice light to tell me that Im running in high resolution DVD-Audio??? :)

Anyway, the manual sucks TBH anyone got any good guides on setting the beast up?

Regards,

Tony

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Tony

EXT-IN is all you´ll get on the display when using the external decoder inputs. Just bear in mind that bass management is bypassed on this input so all speakers will be regarded as Large (unless your dvd audio player has full bass management).

Setup depends on what speakers/sub you are using but generally all speakers set to small and all bass to the sub works well.

I leave Tone Defeat on all the time and leave the Video switched OFF as well. Once you´ve set the speaker distances, balanced the channel levels etc it´s just a case of sitting back and enjoying! :)

Also worth noting is that if you change any of the individual channel levels for Dolby Digital it will have a knock on effect for Dolby Pro-Logic, DTS, DTS Discrete, DTS Neo. It treats them as one mode. THX is treated seperately as is 5/7CH stereo etc.

8. Ballistix

Ballistix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

Still playing here. I have a Pioneer DV-656 that I've been pretty impressed with.

Anyway, I'll have a go at changing the sub levels. As you recommend do it universally for DTS and the Digi stuff , I presume I can have a different setting for the EXT-IN?

EDIT. Just read your post properly this time. Are you saying that I cannot drop the base level on EXT-IN. Because at the moment it does sound a tad high...

Thanks for the tips.

TT

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    You can adjust channel levels on the EXT- IN but it has no bass management (crossover, speaker size setting etc). Just press the Mode Select button on the front of the amp and then cycle thru the options until you get to the SW channel. Then twiddle the knob on the right to adjust it.