1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1Dvs "New" £400 amp ?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by azs, Mar 3, 2005.

1. azs

azs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been offered a 2nd hand Denon AVC-A1D from a mate for £400. I'm currently running a Denon AVR 1802 and using a Rotel 970bx power amp for two channel music.

Question is.....

Is it worth spending £400 on a four year old AV amp when the price of such things has dropped considerably and quality/value has risen so much in the last four years ?

There's no doubt at all in my mind that it will be a quality piece of kit which I will enjoy, but I could do with some opinions on whether I'd be better buying "new" technology for the money or whether this will be better for me than a £400 amp of today.

Note: I've already cabled so I have no interest in new amps that offer 7.1 etc. THX, DD and DTS will be enough to keep me happy regarding decoding formats.

Any opinions ?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The easiest way to find out is to listen to it and see what sort of improvement it makes over your existing amp.

I currently use a Denon AVC10SE which I suppose is also about 4 years old (and cost £1,300 when new) and worth £400 ish and I certainly wouldn't change it for any newer amp in that price range as whilst the newer models may have more bells and whistles it will not amplify films and music as well as mine does.

3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I agree with Ian, the quality of the amp stage and components is the old A1 will top most sub 1K amps of today. But you will be missing out on the likes of PLII and Neo6 etc.
    If you're not going to be making much use of these then it's a good price for a quality amp.