Denon AVC-A1D Setup Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Simon Cooper, Apr 2, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Simon Cooper

Simon Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently upgraded from a Sony STR-DB925 to a Denon AVC-A1D. I had the DB925 set up to use the subwoofer only for video sources so I could listen to music without the sub. Does anyone know how I can do the same thing with the Denon? Even with the CD source set to 2-channel sound it still seems to output through the sub.

Cheers,

Simon

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Difficult! The only chance you have is to set the L/R to large and set the sub setting AWAY from "front and sub" (can't remember the exact description). Obviously this has implications to your A/V sound.

If I want to listen to my A1D without the sub, being as I have all speakers set to large and the bass routed to "front and sub", I power the sub off! The bass management on the A1D is a little strange being as the "front and sub" setting does not do what you think, it acts on all speakers set to large. So if you have your rears set to large the bass goes to the rears and the sub (the "front and sub" should be something like "large and sub").

3. Simon Cooper

Simon Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bugger.

Thanks anyway.

4. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I don't listen to music without the sub. If the sub is set up correctly then you shouldn't "know" it is there, it should add to, not detract from, the sound. Obviously many audiophiles would not agree with me, but that's life!

f you have any more questions about the AVC-A1D let me know, I've messed about with mine a lot!

5. Simon Cooper

Simon Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again.

Unfortunately my sub is a relatively cheap (Paradigm PDR-10) legacy in a speaker system which has otherwise been upgraded (Monitor Audio Silver 8i, 10i & 3i), so music currently sounds better without its contribution. I'm planning to upgrade shortly, probably to a REL Storm III.

Out of interest, what sub do you have? Also, do you just have it connected through high- and low-level outputs or just low?

6. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M&K V75, just low level connection.

7. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've got the lower speced 3300 but I'm sure in this respect it'll be the same. For each surround mode, you can select different channel levels for each speaker by pressing the "Enter" button on the remote repeatedly. While looking at the display on your amp, you should notice channel settings scrolling with each press. I listen to music using the "Direct" mode, so with the Sub level selected I hold the down cursor until it switches off (next one below -12dB). Hope this helps!

8. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Hi

Another way, is to connect into the L & R of your amps 8 channel input via a pair of phonos. That bypasses all processing.

Cheers.

9. Simon Cooper

Simon Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using the L & R from the amps 8-channel input would involve using the crappy on-board D/A converter in my DVD player instead of the superior one(s?) in the amp.

However, the sub volume trick sounds promising. I'll give it a go tonight.

10. Simon Cooper

Simon Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoorah! It worked exactly as you said, Paul.

Thanks.

11. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eh.....

if it's active......turn it off!

12. Simon Cooper

Simon Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would involve fiddling around behind the sub every time I switch from a video source to a stereo source. Hardly ideal.

13. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,382
    Paul beet me to it but I had the problem of over bassy sounding music until doing exactly what he mentions.

Listen to music is DIRECT mode and then lower the sub volume until its switched off !

You could also try the 5CH Stereo mode as well.

Perhaps you me and Martin should get together, after owning mine for 18months im still learning

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question for A1D owners.

What speakers (front) are you using and has anyone added extra power amps. I'd like to improve the quality of music while keeping the A1D....

Was thinking of adding a pair of meridian or cyrus monoblocs. Both around the same price...

Also the new CM's from B&W are nice...

Just curious...

J.

15. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,382
    across the front I have a pair of B&W 603 s2 and also a CC6 s2

I have these ALL set as large and bass sent to both

MOVIES sound much more life like ( thanks to martin for this tip ) but I hardly ever use the thing for music