1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1D ? HK AVI250

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ddlooping, Nov 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :)

My present set-up consists of a recently acquired second-hand Denon AVC-A1D, a Pioneer DVD626D dvd player, Mission 774 front speakers, a fairly cheap Gale center speaker (which blends suprisingly well with the Missions) and two Boston VRC Micros as rears.

I was previously using an Harma-Kardon THX AVI250 amp, but bought the Denon partly as a favor for a friend, and also hoping my system overal sound-quality would improve.

It has in some ways but not others.

The multi-channels treatment is better, a bit clearer (leaner too) and faster.
    When playing in stereo, I'm missing the warmth of the HK, and even though the sound has gained a bit in clarity and separtion, it seems "flatter", less involving.

So it got me thinking.

Would selling the Denon to get a separate processor and use the HK power-amps (using its 5.1 input) be a better compromise?
    Would it bring back the "warmth" but also lose the clarity and speed of the Denon?
    etc etc??

The Denon being a few years old, it is not upgradable to the new standards like DPL2, 6.1 that I've hear are very good (hence me thinking of buying a midrange processor or second-and one like the Rotel).

I'd appreciate your views on the matter. ;)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    How about using the Denon as the processor and the HK for the amplification?

3. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi folks and sorry to butt in but,
    How exactly would you go about that Jase? in terms of connection and set up.
    Also is it worth trying it the other way round? as in HK as a prosessor and the Denon as the amp, a bit of messing about but worth a try!

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    You would connect the Pre-Outs of one amp to the 5.1 External Decoder Inputs of the other. Might be worth trying the HK as the pre-amp to see what result it gives (assuming it has pre-outs for all channels). :)

5. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jase.
    It was on my to-do list. ;)

Two problems though:
    I ultimately do not want to keep both units (too big).
    The Denon doesn't do any of the most recent sound format, i.e DPLII, the HK is Pro-logic. ;)

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I used to have the AVI250 amp, though with the 303 processor too. The thing is, that old Harman/Kardon amp is exceptional and it isn't surprising to me that the Denon isn't comparing well to it. If you want to have some of the latest features (does this include THX?) and good quality stereo performance, there are three companies that are ideal: NAD, Rotel and Harman/Kardon. If it were me I would sell both the AVI250 and the Denon to put towards a NAD T762 or H/K 7500 (preferably the latter, though it is about £300 more expensive). There are cheaper, more fully featured, options like the Denon 3802 and Pioneer AX5i, but since you are used to the AVI250's qualities, then you may be forced into spending more to improve what you have already got. Unfortuantely, all of the latest higher end AV amps are big, due to the size of the internal components, like power transformers and capacitors.

Russell

7. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the suggestions, russraff. :)

It isn't that the Denon is inferior to the HK (or vice-versa), both have their qualities.
    The HK is warmer (maybe less tiring, but I haven't had a long listening session yet).
    The Denon has a clearer, more defined sound.
    Like most audio gear I have auditioned, neither is perfect, but a combination of the two would be fairly close.
    Maybe using the HK as power amp might do the trick after all. :D

The thing is, using the Denon as processor-only seems a bit of a waste somehow (especially considering it doesn't have any of the most recent formats).
    Hence my idea of selling it before it depreciates too much (I'd be hoping to get £500-600 for it), and buying a more up-to-date and upgradable processor.
    That way, I would only have to change the HK for some power amps at a later date.
    I don't see selling both to get an AV amp as an option though.
    It would certainly enable me to have DLPII and other new formats, but I don't think it would have as good a sound quality (especially for stereo music).

P.S: I guess my question is, is there an upgradable processor which will have at least as good a sound as the Denon (when used with the HK as power amp) around the £600 mark (2nd hand would be fine)?

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    No, there is not. The closest is the Rotel RSP1066 which is about £1000. Even so, I wouldn't say that the Rotel was any better than your Denon in terms of pure sound quality.

Russell

9. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Would you consider it "as good" though?

If it was, I could try getting a 2nd-hand one (paying for it by selling the Denon).
    Not only would I have access to newer processing formats, but could also update it if and when neccessary (it is upgradable, isn't it?).

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The Rotel 1066 was alright, but no better than a decent mid range receiver's decoding abilities. Certainly the amp I have now and an A1SE I heard at the time were considerably better, especially for music.
    The software is upgradeable, on the 1066, though the hardware is not. You would be looking to a second hand Meridian or TAG level of equipment (starting at something like £1500) for hardware upgrades. I have seen some Lexicon processors going for £1100, but I do think that there is a limit to how far these processors can be upgraded.

Russell

11. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well, it doesn't sound like selling the Denon for a processor is worth it (considering £600ish would be my budget).

Oh well, nevermind. ;)
    Thanks for taking interest in my query, russraff. :)