Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon AVC-A11XV - Now Available

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HSC, Jun 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Just had a call from my dealer - Frank Harvey HiFi
    They have had one in today :clap: - demo-ing Friday.....will let you know...

need someone to hide my wallet before i leave....!!!!

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    How much are these going for?

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    £2,500.00. A veritable monster of an amp. Perhaps one day... :rolleyes:

4. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I assume Denon have fitted wheels to it as you'll never move the bloody thing once it's in situ otherwise ;)

5. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    I agree, way over priced.

The A11 range was always aimed below the flagship A1 range. Yet Denon has chosen to lift the price of the new A11 to that of previous flagships.

The new A11 may well have lot of technical wizadry on board, but does not have the same power or build as the previuos A1 SE/SR amps at the same price.
    In the world of cheaper electronics, Denon is taking a real chance.
    I think they'll lose much of their business to Pioneer and Yamaha.

I would not swap my 4 year old A1SE for the new A11, yet the new A1 that I'd otherwise consider is now a phenominal £4500!
    It's just got rather silly really, and people are less likely to spend that kind of money now than they were 2 years ago.

7. frustin

frustin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    please can someone explain to me why I would want HDMI (inputs?) on my amp? why would i want to take the video signal from my DVD player/sky to my TV via my AV amp? wouldnt i get a degredation in signal doing this? or am i completely wrong; would it give a better signal? :confused:

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Probably in readiness for the day you have multiple HDMI capable devices.

In 1 - 2 years time, you might have a DVD player, Digital Satelite box and a games console all with an HDMI output, and all fighting for the single HDMI input on your projector.
    That said, HDMI switching would be of no use to most people at this point in time, and by the time it becomes useful there'll be new sound formats for Blu-ray and HDD which would lead you to upgrade again.

However, my biggest problem with AV amps as video switch boxes is that few of them support multiple outputs (e.g. for your Plasma & Projector), and of those that do even fewer send vital on screen display messages to more than 1 monitor.

9. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    hi all
    i have had an extensive demo of the a11xv today and I must say it is a very impressive amp and everything i expected it to be.
    now comes the hard decision......is it worth £2.5k....????? as i have seen most of you question also....

i think £2k is a more realistic price point for this amp - for which you will get the most feature rich and usable (i.e. the A1XV has more features you will never use) amp on the planet...

the other downside is that its not available in black....:-(

will I get one......probably...just need to convince the bank manager (aka the mrs).

10. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,818
    Denon Germany listed the black units to be available in September. :)

11. Petrushka

Petrushka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My current setup is that all my sources have digital sound connections to my amp (SP/DIF, obviously). And they have analogue connections to my TV. I have the following sources:

- Videorecorder (Soon to be replaced with DVD/HD recorder).
    - Xbox (Soon to be replaced with Xbox 360)
    - Satellite box (Soon to be replaced with HD capable digital whatchamacallit)
    - Digital cable receiver (settop box)

I have a plasma screen on the wall with one HDMI input.

Question:

How do I record a TV/Audio program from the sat to the DVD/HD?
    How do I record a TV/Audio program from the cable to the DVD/HD?
    How do I record a TV/Audio program from the internet (*) to the DVD/HD?

(*) Note that the Xbox 360 is a Media Center extender and my PC runs XP/MCE.

All that can be connected very simple with an AV center (more than just an amp) that has multiple HDMI inputs as well as decent connectivity for the DVD/HD recorder.

And guess what: Once it's connected through a single control center, even the wife and kids can operate it!

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    £2500 is a lot of money but iirc doesn't this amp have room correction software on board? That itself is worth a lot.

13. dion

dion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have mine and absolutely delighted. I am using a single hdmi feed to my projector with my 3910, sky+ and VCR all going down it.

Beats my old 3803 hands down for sound into a set of Canton Katats 7.1 setup.

14. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Still own a Denon AVC-A1SE at present.
    See little point in upgrading until Denon get around to releasing a new flagship model which supports the new Dolby Digital Plus and DTS HD formats.

15. Spero D.

Spero D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could you give us a quick review? Also what projector do you have that supports 480i for the AVC-A11XV On Screen Display (as my Marantz VP-12S3 unfortunetly doesn't support 480i or the S4) or are you also running component outputs to your projector?

16. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I have been using the AVCA11XV with a Yamaha DPX1100 via HDMI. The Yamaha accepts 480i over HDMI and I have had no problems (yet).

I have set it to upconvert sky to HDMI without any issues and it has switched a Pioneer 868 and Denon 3910 without issues.

Initial thoughts of the amp are very positive. Beefier sounding than a 3805, slightly smoother top end. Very versatile options in the menus. No problems using iLink via a Pioneer 868.

Fit and finish excellent. Remote an acquired taste. Not tried the Audessy yet.

17. Spero D.

Spero D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the report. I wish Marantz would enable 480i via HDMI on the S3 & S4.

18. venezolano

venezolano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's a little off-topic, I'm sorry. Edgeyboy, have you tried 480i from pio 868 to the yammie? Did it work ok?

Cheers

Juan

19. dion

dion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The amp is upconverting SVHS from VCR and SKY+ via chord 15m hdmi (set to VG non enhanced output) to Sim2 Domino30H running in pixel to pixel mode, picture is excellent on the high quality Sky channels and reflects the quality of the source on the others!!! Looking forward to High Def sky next year.

3910 is just feeding hdmi on pass through with no degradation to picture quality. Sim2 came up trumps with a firmware update to sort out a green hue issue I had with the projector within 2 hours of email and phone call. Better than Denon Uk who were asked the same question last Thurs and have failed to respond to dealer or directly to my enquiry.

Sound wise, the amp is a significant improvement over my 3803, the Canton Karat's are a difficult 6ohm load (M80s front CM30 centre, 4 M10's as surrounds side and rear and an AS 300SC Sub (would like a velodyne DD15))which is now driving at -20dB instead of the -5dB I was previously using. Having used the auto calibration and checked with a sound meter and digital tape measure they were not far out, I am using the audessy room eq and am pleased with the results. Sound stage is far wider than previously, bass is better defined and speakers are really coming alive IMO.

Remote is ok (buttons are difficult to get correct 1 some times and its very large) but now all programmed into my Pronto ProNG so wont have to use it again.

Loads more settings to play with would really like to put a spectrum analyser in the room and look at the frequency response curve from an audio sweep generator to sort out the room eq properly.

Overall an expensive but definite improvement filling y 14' by 24' cinema room with sound and the HDMI switching and upconversion have meant that for the time being I have not had to invest in a scaler to feed my projector down just 1 cable, I would still be interested in how much video improvement the scaler would give but Sub is next key purchase.

20. Spero D.

Spero D.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dion looks congrats on your purchase. So your projector also support 480i via HDMI so you can get the AVC-A11XV setup menus etc? If so lucky you and Edgeboy :)

As for the quotet above isn't that what the Audyssey is supposed to do you for you ie. sort out the room EQ for you?

21. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Yes, 480i and 576i from the 868 both work great to the DPX100 through the AVCA11XV.

22. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Edgeyboy

You should try the Audissey. I was amazed at the difference it made. Have been told by my dealer that it's just a marketing gimmick as logically, there can be only one correct setting in terms of delay and level for all speakers and there is no way to accomodate 6 different seating positions. However, I'm glad to say he was wrong and wherever you sit you feel like you're right in the middle of the action.

Regarding previous comments on Dolby Digital Plus for Bluray, the A1XV and A11XV will be easily upgradeable to the new audio formats and will therefore not be obsolete for a long time.

23. dion

dion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All AMP menus work to Sim2 30H.

As for audio check, would just like to confirm audessy settings! and look at the acoustics of the room.

24. bizzibee

bizzibee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This was posted over on the AVS Forums. I thought I'd post it here for those interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=552780

Anyway here is Part 1 of the Translated info. The real article has some very nice pictures of the unit.

25. bizzibee

bizzibee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Part 2