1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A11SR Vs Rotel RSX1065

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by thestorm, Jan 11, 2002.

1. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all

I'm considering these two receivers for direct comparison.
    I'm wondering if anyone on this forum has had any first hand experience of them. How were they? What other receicers\amp should I consider in this price range.

Im looking to buy in summer, there's no rush yet.
    But I'm explorering all the options now.

Click here for : Denon AVC-A11SR

Click here for Rotel RSX1065

Cheers,
    Shaz

2. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the Denon,and I am very pleased with it .Night and day difference in sound quality compared to my Sony.

3. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shaz, I also have the AVC-A11SR. I did not listen to the Rotel so cant compare the important listening differences.

The Denon is a great bit of Kit THX Ultra, DPL II, DD,DTS

Sounds great in Pure Direct mode with my Linn CD player. Previously I had an Arcam Delta 270 and a Yamaha Surround Processor. Big difference on DVD (I was using the Sony onboard decoder before) particulalrly DTS. CD is excellent particulalrly as It now utilises my sub as necessary If I configure it to do so.

TV, SAT and VCR are great especially with DPL II.

I only have two niggles.

I am forever fiddling with the Centre speaker levels, Might be my ears, my Mission 75C or just being paranoid but its nearly right. If any one has an thoughts on this be happy to hear.

Second Niggle, manual is a really for major techies and could be clearer.

Denon does have 7 channels on board and if you can get the all important domestic permission(which I havent yet) to add more speakers the Denon will crank them out of the box. Rotel needs a second amp.

Apart from that AVC-A11SR gets my recomendation.

Rog

4. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

johnson!

What Sony did u have?
    I'm from Essex too..where did u demo\purchase the Denon from?
    Did u get a good price or the rrp?

Cya,
    Shaz

5. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sony 940 (bit of a jump in price I know)

I bought it from Rayleigh hifi(southend)

Paid 1660.Retail 1800.

Regards

6. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Hi Rog

Thanks for your response!

I currently have a NAD C370 integrated amp with ProAc S125 speakers. It's the Donkey's NAD's for music. I'm very happy with it.
    Previous to that I used to own a total TAG Mclaren Setup (processor,amp,cdp,cables) but I felt it was too much money spent and I wasn't getting back
    what I invested in it, regardless how awesome the store demo was. My only problem was, playing music with bass! I had been through all the settings, speakers, interconnects and speaker cable(they were TAG too) and still the same :confused: Dance music lacked the spark and energetic thump that my C370 delivers. But for homecinema and bass light music... eg classical,ambient music,jazz. The TAG was a dream..... the best processor you can get for that price range. The operating system, the ease of setup, the looks, down to the manual and excellent customer support.... perfect!

..that'll be my next upgrade in a couple of years (for homecinema only). U won't have any problems setting up u're system with TAG, that's 100% guaranteed.

But for now I'll stick to Denon as I need it for the time being to
    bridge the gap. I'm purchasing an XBOX games console which will utilise the processor side of things in the possible Denon.

What integrated amps do u think the Denon compares to in terms of quality? A £500 amp? although I feel the NAD looks like a £300 but it sounds like a £1000 one!

Apart from that at this stage I've got a gut feeling that i'll be going for the Denon. It's looks great and i'm sure it will sound it too. If only it had a tuner as well. :rolleyes:

Cya,
    Shaz

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shaz, As I wasnt in the market for a Stereo amp its difficult to say. You do pay a premium on the Denon for Processing and Video switching (which I dont use).

Music is great in Pure Direct mode. I m a bit of a Floyd Fan and the remastered Box set sounds great. Definately bits in there that I didnt hear on my old Arcam. Also Elevation by U2 a lot more "depth". If you use Pure Direct you can control the Bass on the Sub. If you use Direct mode you can change Bass on the amp.

I got mine from near Essex at the Audiofile in Bishops Stortford. Great shop, I nearly always use it. Excellent demo facilities and nice people to do business with. However in this case discounts werent discussed as they only had one unit. But they always throw in some good cables if you need them. I have also had discounts on speakers there before.

BTW. I had a rewiring party yesterday and have reconnected my Centre Speaker and it seems to be better. It is Bi Wired at the speaker end but not at the amp. I may have not had a good connection at the amp end.

Cheers Rog