1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC A11SR Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sick Note, Nov 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just got my new AVC A11SR amp.Sounds wicked but how do I connect my laserdisc player without an AC3 RF input and still get Dolby Digital??????
    Is there a converter available?????:confused:

2. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are a bit of a lucky sausage getting your hands on this.

Won't be here for a week or two yet.

Don't think it will work with Laserdiscs, I am sure I read it somewhere. Poor You.

I have pre booked a demo of an 11SR for listening and many will know I have posted information on this machine as it has arrived.

I won't be buying before I listen. A well known THX Ultra dealer in Glasgow said, when I phoned up, to ask about a demo... I'll take a deposit from you just now. I went err excuse me pal but I want to hear it before I part with my cash !! This is supposed to be a professional dealership wanting to sell to a customer before even listening. The Edinburgh shop is much better.

Is it better than the 10SE that it replaces? Can you give us all a review on how you have found it. This would be much appreciated.

I didn't really like the 10SE, it didn't sound dynamic enough for me, a bit too smooth. Hopefully the 11SR will be heaps better.

A Denon rep said to me that the internal components are no where near as good as the A1SE. I said..well it is your flagship model after all and more expensive.

His reply was it's not much more expensive and a hell of alot better.

I don't have 2.5k to play with though !! So there is not even an issue.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Stewart C

3. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you need is an external AC3 Demodulator this will convert the RF signal output from your laserdisc player's output into the type of datastream signal that the digital inputs on your (or any Dolby Digital) amp will like.

Ones that spring to mind are the Yamaha ADP-1 at one extreme and the Meridian 519 at the other.

4. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    well guys thanks for the help hopefully I can track down a demodulator.

As for a review it´s pretty difficult cos it´s not wired up completely but I will say this much:
    That Denon rep you talked to was talking out of his hat.Anyone that is thinking of buying a high end amp particularly Denons AVC A1SE should seriously consider this little baby instead.From listening comparisons that I have made(a friend has the A1SE) I could not really jusify spending the extra money.
    There are a couple less inputs round the back eg only one 7.1 input but unless you have more equipment than the local multiplex there are more than enough conections(except RF AC3).
    Also missing is the funky touchscreen remote from the AVC A1SE but so what the one supplied does the job just as well and the layout is superb,very clear,not three million buttons to make you go dizzy just looking at it,everything is there that any home cineast needs,including macro´s.
    As for sound, like I said first impressions are very positive.I used to have a Yamaha 3090 and it just blows that completely out of the water.
    Just tried out the DTS-ES disrete with my R1 copy of Gladiator and I must say that´s the first time I´ve ever had to look round to make sure that there was really no one stood behind me with a sword,the stearing is sensational.
    Pro-logic 2 is also very impressive with surround encoded material but my personal jury is still out when it comes to music cd´s I prefer straight stereo and hated the effects that the Yamaha added but maybe Pro-logic 2 will change my mind.
    As for the newest mode "DTS 96/24" I can´t say anything as there is no software available and not being in the trade I can´t get my hands on the one test disc that is in circulation.The only thing that I do know of this new format is that it is supposed to give DVD Audio quality sound with films,can´t wait to find out.
    Set up is exactly the same as the A1-SE as far as I can tell so I won´t waffle on about that.
    Basically to tell any difference you would have to do some intensive head to head testing and I think even then to find differences you would have to be super critical.Personally I think Denon`s new baby sonds a little warmer than the AVC-A1SE.
    One thing I have noticed though is that this thing run´s pretty damn hot and I would be interested to hear from other owners to see if this is a trait of the model or just mine.
    So that´s as much as I can say at the moment about this amp,it has so many features that will make these long winter evenings will fly by.
    My conclusion is that anyone who buys the A1SE over this amp must have money to burn especially considering that to get the same number of sound formats the A1SE needs an expensive upgrade.Denon could have shot themselves in the foot with this one.BUY THIS AMP you will not be sorry,plus you´ll have enough money left over to buy a couple of back surround speakers like I did.

RRP in Germany 5500 DM
    I payed 4199DM
    :D

If anyone has any quesions then fire away

5. perry ferrit

perry ferrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connect up a high quality cd player and a quality dvd audio and video player then tell me that you cant tell any diference between
    the AVC-A11SR and the AVC-A1SE.

6. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I already did connect my Toshiba 900 E
    As I said there are slight differences but not 3850DM worth

divide by 3 for price in pounds

7. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time. I can't wait to hear the 11SR.

I will be in a very good poistion, I will have the 11SR and A1SE running side by side, even though I do not have top of the range components attached.

Toshiba SD200e

My speakers should love them though...M&K's all round SS150THX Rears.

I hate the word warm to be honest. I prefer words like clarity focus, timing, legibility, dynamics. The word warm makes it sound that something is muffled, smooth, almost like you have your head under water and can't hear everything quite as clear as you should. Perhaps I over emphasise the word warm.

Am I just being paranoid.

I did review the 10SE (older version) which incidentially is not being superseded by the 11SR. The 10SE will be available for at least another 6 months. The 10SE was too smooth for my liking, I then hooked up a TAG AVR-32. It sounded so clear it was frightening. OK I know more expensive but I expected the Denon 10SE to blow me away compared to my old Yamaha A2.

It didn't

Time will tell, I should have my 11SR at home for testing next week.

Regards

Stewart

8. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hey Stewart

Hope I gave you some idea of what to expect I´m sure you won´t be disappointed.
    Regarding my use of the word "warm".I have to say that what I was trying to describe was the fact that this amp gives all the detail you want without some of the sibilence(harshness) in the upper frequencies when you crank up the volume as I have experienced with some other amps in the price range of the A11 SR.
    Hope you get my drift(that´s my first attempt at a review)

regards;)

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stewart,

With the money you save not buying the A1SE, you could buy a Rotel (or other) amp for the front channels, the receiver would handle the processing and the other channels, it is a big improvement...

10. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sick Note,
    I wonder if you can help.I'm pretty much decided on getting an av11,can you tell me if the setup within the amp will allow the centre rear speakers to be closer to the listener than the rear surrounds?
    The reason I ask is that,my current receiver has some constraints on positioning(the front right and left can't be closer than the centre)and my room dictates the rear centre's will be closer than the rear surrounds.Also I havn't used 7.1 before.
    Regards
    Simon

11. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where to buy the 11SR.

I had an interesting conversation with Denon the other week. They explained to me the distribution chain.

No 11SR's are made in the UK or Europe. They are all made in Japan. They are made for the region and appropriate power requirements, i.e. 240volts etc.

Accordingly, there are no such things therefore as grey imports as all Denon products are imported from Japan. The 11SR available in Germany will therefore be exactly the same as the UK machine. No difference in the slightest.

I have already seen it advertised for £1499 (UK Supplier from HCC) and of course this is one bought on the continent and not directly through Hayden Labs who are the official distributors of UK stock.

Why pay more then ? Probably the only thing that I can see of benefit might be the warranty. Although having checked a german site they offer 2 years warranty which is the same as the UK.

What do you think ?

12. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have also seen it for 1499.They told me mid december.
    My local denon gold dealer has some on order but will not budge 1 pound from 1799.
    I'll go with 1499.

13. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will be getting exactly the same product too.

14. Sick Note

Sick Note

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The surround back channels can be set separately Johnson.

Try www.hificomponents.de they ship to the uk in 7 days and have the amp at the moment for 4199DM.Divide that by 3 and you get a pretty good price.The site is in English and German:)

15. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have today found a relatively close denon gold dealer who will do an avc11 for 1660,with 3 years warrenty.
    Thinking about it!

16. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Will be picking up my avc-11 tommorow.
    I'll let you know what I think.

17. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Popped into Sevenoaks in Hull today who have good stock of the AVCA11SR.