1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC A11Sr, first impressions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by magking, Mar 9, 2002.

Tags:
  1. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, here it is my first impressions of my new AVC A11SR.

I’ve had the Denon AVC A11SR for three days now. I upgraded from an AVR 3300 and here is a comparison.
    Watched Seven SE DTS 6.1 Discrete last night and the extra surround back channel weren’t very noticeable, but when I turned it off I could hear the difference. Then I switched between the DTS ES 6.1 and THX 6.1 (DTS ES 6.1 with THX post processing), can’t say if one was better than the other yet, but they were different. Used a Toshiba DVD 200 as a source for the DTS test, as my Denon DVD 3000 doesn’t have DTS digital out. I’m going to buy a new DVD player later this year, but I’m out of money at the moment. I’ll probably go for one ot these, Pioneer 747, Denon 3800 or Arcam DV27.
    CD’s sound more dynamic, with more punch in the bass area (digital in from Denon DVD 3000).
    When I selected a source witch there were no signal on the AVR 3300 I could hear another source with a signal when I turned the volume up, no sound of such bleed on the AVC A11SR.
    The remote is better to use than the remote that came with the AVR 3300, and it has backlight.
    Setting up was pretty much the same as setting up the AVR 3300, except the THX options, like the subwoofer peak limiter. Used the Ultimate DVD Platinum and a Radio shack analogue SPL meter and sat all channels to 75db at -10 on the volume (had to put the main channels to –7db)
    Channel separation is much better than the AVR 3300, probably the most noticeable difference between the two. That and the fan and heat problem of the AVR 3300, the AVC A11SR doesn’t get near as hot.

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Magking, your findings are similar to mine. I have just been using my radio shack Sound meter to set mine up. I not quite sure why you have volume set to -10dB, maybe you can explain.

When you turn on the test tone on the A11SR it sets the volume to 00dB(look at the LED on the front of the amp). Then I had to lower each channel until I got 75dB reading on the meter. Seems to sound good.

Getting the sub correctly adjusted is tricky as the test tone "wobbles" quite a bit.

One thing I noticed is that setting it by ear I had the rear channels much too low. Now all channels are set to 75dB.

Not finished yet but as it is my birthday tomorrow I have stopped to go out for beer and curry:D
    Rog

3. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The reason i used the volume at -10, is that to get 75db at 00 i would have to put the to main and center channels at about -17db and max is -12db.
    To set the channel level at the surround back i had to "guesstemate". as The Ultimate DVD platinum is 5.1. I adjusted the Surround channels at 75db at -10, then i used the internal test tone at -10 and messured the level at the surround back channels to they were equal to the surround channels.
    Had the same problem as you with the sub peak level setting, thinking about turning it off as my REL sub has an internal safe setting and is supposed to be good enough.
    Watched Jurrasic park DTS and Air force one superbit DTS today, and was espesially impressed with the ES matrix sound those gave though they are not coded in ES.
    Do you use the ES/EX on non flagged sources? I do.
    What do you think of the THX post prossesing of DTS ES?
    Happy birthday tomorrow!:)

4. penacP

penacP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    magking, can I suggest you to set the "subwoofer peak limiter" to OFF ?

I find you would have a better bass wrapping sound... I can see you have a good subwoofer... So I do think you would have a better effect when not using the "subwoofer peak limiter" :)

Penac :clown:

5. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I'll try that today.
    Thanks

6. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Magking, unfortunately I have not yet negotiated another set of rear speakers in our living room. So I have a 5.1 setup :( .

As for THX post processing I havent tried it since I set the system up yesterday. And my bird is currently watching a video so I cant get in to do any testing.

I must admit I have been impressed with the THX on DPLII TV sources like Inspector Morse where the older episodes are only in stereo. Seems to fix dialogue a whole lot better.

Phantom Menace also sounded great with THX on. Need to try some DTS sources.

Just got AI R1 for my birthday so I will be onto that as soon as she has finished. Its DTS so I can have a try on the THX.

Cheers Rog