Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon AVC-A10SE - still up to the job?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jrrs1, Oct 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. jrrs1

jrrs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Quick bit of advice, got a Denon AVC-A10se, boxed in black never used or even opened ( about 3.5 years old).
    Is it worth me using this now or should i sell and pick up something else?, i doubt i would add much money to the selling price- but i relaise technology and prices change [especally in 3/5 years!] so would i get a better matched and quality amp for the second hand selling price?

I tend to listen to everything but more orientated to dance and ambiant, obviosly dvd/films would be involved.

To clarify i doubt i will use it for switching as i'm hoping to use a PC to manage everything, so it'll be an rca or optical in and then the normal speakers out (5) + sub ( ruark Vita 5.1).

Out of interest is this a well matched pair? ( AVC-a10se+ruark 5.1)

Cheers John

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Keep it imho, extended surround modes are nice to have but hardly justify the cost of changing. The only thing you might want to consider (especially if you have a live room) is something along the lines of the Pioneer VSX-D2011/AX5 with their auto-calibration (MCACC). Thing is, the power amps probably won't match what's in the A10SE, so it depends on what speakers you have and how difficult they are to drive.

Ultimately, though, unless you want to spend alot more money (You'll get no more than £400-£450 for your Denon) you're better off keeping it:)

Matt

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I used to have an A10SE a while back. They are good amps, especially the power-amp stage which uses a pretty hefty transformer. You can run some fairly tough speakers and the Denon will still cope. I remember the amp being smooth and controlled, never bright. It was almost like a stereo amp that just happened to have an AV decoder in it. The processing is not that good by todays standards, but it is the implementation that counts, rather than merely processor specs. IMO I preferred my old A10SE to something like a Pioneer AX5 which had "better" processing and more features, but lacks the overall class of an A10SE. The only things I didn't like were the remote and a tiny little volume readout on the front which you cant read properly unless 2 foot away from the amp. There is certainly better out there, but nowhere near the money you paid.
    I think IanJ has one and and seems to speak highly of it.

Russell

4. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'm still using the 10SE I bought from our esteemed forums moderator Urban Tiger two and half years ago and have absolutely no plans to change it in the foreseeable. Movies sound great, but more importantly I am totally confident in its ability with stereo material. One final point, you won't get anything like the build quality with any model you get for your 450 notes. Just make sure you don't hurt yourself lifting out of the box.

5. jrrs1

jrrs1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, its staying in my line up....

Cheers John

6. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Ummm... Just thought I'd add that I'm STILL using Urban Tiger's old '10SE, nine years after that last comment! Well, it's rather good...