Denon AVC-a10SE .... Help

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought the Denon a10SE in the AV classified section. I'm having trouble getting sound from my rear speakers. Ive already talked to the guy that sold me it and he's been extremely helpful and gave me a lot of time last night. He also assures me the amp works fine.

I'm sure I have it setup correctly but I cant get any sound from my rear speakers. I have it setup for 5.1

When I use the test tones, the front L&R are fine, the Center is fine, but the Rear L&R I'm getting nothing.

Last night when I first set it up I was getting sound from the Rear L...I then took the wires off and reconnected the rears again and now I get nothing from either of them. Ive connected them 1 at a time and swapped the wires, still nothing.

I'm using bi-wire speaker cable and bare wire, I dont use banana clips or anything.

Could someone help me please ? Thanks in advance. :(

It's not an A or B rear speakerset issue ? 'Ave a looksee in the menu as the Denons have dual rears. Doublecheck the settings therein.

Mike.

I've checked........the rears are connected to the 'A' set and the amp is set to 'A' only.

Try everything 'B' ???

Mike.

Reset the amp and start again. Hold down the Stereo & Direct buttons on the front panel whilst turning the Power button on, hold for a few seconds and the display will flash.

Then try the test tones.

Ive tried holding down stereo & direct on the front panel and then turning it on, it wont reset the amp :(

Originally posted by aRCaM
Ive tried holding down stereo & direct on the front panel and then turning it on, it wont reset the amp :(

Bit odd, that should reset it. Have a quick flick through the manual just in case it has a different set of buttons to be pressed. Usually the Stereo & Direct/Power ON will do the trick though.:confused:

I presume that you have connected the rears to the right terminals on the amp. You haven't plugged them into the centre rear terminals by mistake.

I've managed to reset the amp, still no sound from the rears.

There is no rear center position on the amp to plug into.
Theres 2 sections... Surround A (Left & Right) and Surround B (Left & Right).

I've plugged the rear left into Surround A (Left) and the rear right into Surround A (Right)

Still no sound :(

Has this A10 been used with an external power amp in the past? If so that might explain why the internal amp seems to be off on one pair of channels. Sorry, can't remember how to turn them back on, but this seems one of the more likely explanations.
If not, then sorry, I haven't a clue.

yes its been used with an external power amp (poa-t10).

Wouldnt reseting the amp put it back to factory defaults though ?

Ive now tried plugging up the rear speakers to the 'Surround B' set and switched the amp over to 'B' and still nothing from the rears.

Does anyone actually have this amp ? If so, please give me some advise.

Thanks to everyone who's tried to help so far.

The terminals on the top at the extreme right (when looking at the amp from the rear) are the correct terminals.

The terminals in the second from right row are for the "surround backs"

Are you connecting the rears to the top four terminals in the right hand strip of terminals.

Im the guy he bought it from , just been on the fone trying to sort it out , last night he had one rear speaker working , now neither are , sounds like he has everything configured right , im stumped on this one .

This is probably no help at all.. but I remember threads about Yamaha A1's that needed to have sockets bridged (or phonos fitted and then removed) to re-awaken channels when the pre-out's were used.. as ppl found that the left channel was silent as it had been shutdown by the amp..

Just wondered is maybe the denon had the same sort of problem as I presume it was used before the additional power amp for the rear 2 channels ????

Matt

The rear channels were always used , when you have the POA-T10 you asign the front channels to back speakers.

For some reason only known to the man up above, my rear speakers have died (r.i.p)

Big thanks to installer09 who's telephone support was a great help.

Time to throw them rears in the bin and upgrade......

Thanks to everyone else who tried to help me :)

I'm not sure whats heppening to my speakers, but I've plugged them upto my old Sony 5.1 amp before throwing them in the bin and they work fine in there.......:confused:

I really dont know what to do next, they wont work in the Denon amp no matter what position i connect them to.

Tried connecting the rears to the center speaker connections, the 'A' rear left and right channels and the 'B' rear left and right channels....nothing from them :( but in the sony amp...voilla, work fine :confused:

The only remaining thing that I can think of is the speaker configuration within the amp. Make sure that the rears haven't been switched to "none"

I would imagine that if the speakers and cable are OK and you have tried in both the A & B sockets that the answer must lie somewhere in the setup routine.

yeah, checked all that. Ive just plugged it back up to the Denon and still nothing from them, they have been tried in the front position, the center position and the rear position and they dont work. Yet, on the Sony they work fine.

I give up :mad:

The same speakers plugged into the front, rear or centre sockets on the Denon don't work but plugged into your Sony, they do.

You said that you were using biwire cable and assuming that you are plugging both ends into the correct sockets, I'm mystified :confused:

Yeah Ian, thats exactly right. I could take my center channel speaker and plug it upto the rear outputs on the denon and it works fine too, so its not the connections on the amp.

I'm going to email Denon and maybe see if they can help or shed some light as to whats going on.

Thanks again.

I hate to admit this but I give up. I cannot think of anything that it might possibly be.

Sorry

The only other thing I can suggest would be to try the rears with different cable. I don't know why this should work but you seem to have tried everything else.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom