1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVC-A1 repair advice

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by packeted, May 6, 2005.

1. packeted

packeted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

It looks like I've blown my Denon AVC-A1 - the other day I was vacuuming my room and moved some of my rather inflexible Naim NAC A5 cable (which I use with the Denon). A bit later music was still playing but there was a slight burning smell which I assumed was the new vacuum cleaner, but the music later stopped and I noticed that the positive and negative one one channel were touching (thanks to the cheap binding posts used on the AVC-A1 and the stupid QED metal banana plug shields used on the NAC A5).

Every time I turn on the amp it now comes up with "PROTECTION" after a couple of seconds. I have tried resetting it by holding down stereo and direct but it will not reset. I have just been on to Denon, but to be honest I'm sure they'd land me with a huge bill whatever, and considering the unit only cost me £300 it hardly seems worth it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've opened it up but can't see anything visibly wrong, I tried removing a few fuses in the hope that it might take it out of the protection mode, but it's still in it. Does anyone know how I can get it out of this protection mode? If all else fails does anyone know a reliable place where I could get it fixed in London for a resonable price? It's a shame, as this was a great little amp!

Regards,
    Francis

2. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. For the sake of the postage, its probably worth arranging for Denon (Hayden Labs) to have a look at it and have them provide a quote for the repair. It might not be as much as you imagine. The parts should be relatively cheap and they will have an infinite knowledge of the equipment and what to look for. If it is too costly, you can ask for it to be returned to you (and I believe) for no extra charge. Give them a call (01753 888447) and see what they say. I have heard they are a little slow on repairs though.

Good Luck

Regards FRANC

3. djaustin

djaustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Might be another cable shortcircuit. Had the same thing with my lowly 1801. Unplug and replumb all speakers and see if it goes away.

I made some dividers to separate binding posts using cardboard and slotted these in behind to help cure the problem.

regards,

Daren