Denon AVC-A1 in protection mode

packeted

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I have just posted this in the receivers section but thought I might get a response from this more specific forum, anyway my post was as follows:

Hi there,

It looks like I've blown my Denon AVC-A1 - the other day I was vacuuming my room and moved some of my rather inflexible Naim NAC A5 cable (which I use with the Denon). A bit later music was still playing but there was a slight burning smell which I assumed was the new vacuum cleaner, but the music later stopped and I noticed that the positive and negative one one channel were touching (thanks to the cheap binding posts used on the AVC-A1 and the stupid QED metal banana plug shields used on the NAC A5).

Every time I turn on the amp it now comes up with "PROTECTION" after a couple of seconds. I have tried resetting it by holding down stereo and direct but it will not reset. I have just been on to Denon, but to be honest I'm sure they'd land me with a huge bill whatever, and considering the unit only cost me £300 it hardly seems worth it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've opened it up but can't see anything visibly wrong, I tried removing a few fuses in the hope that it might take it out of the protection mode, but it's still in it. Does anyone know how I can get it out of this protection mode? If all else fails does anyone know a reliable place where I could get it fixed in London for a resonable price? It's a shame, as this was a great little amp!

Regards,
Francis

My main question is how can I get it out of protection mode? Is there a hard-reset switch, fuse or such like inside that I could try?

Nope if you've blown the output stage then that will need to be replaced. The only reset is the front panel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom